Close

Getting into 3d printing

A Field test of lightweight sleepers that can handle sweltering nights, as well as the cold snap.

Warmth Is a luxurious commodity--your fluffy three-season sleeping bag becomes sweat-soaked deadweight during that which you
    expected, and until you have too much of it is an summer weekend at the hills. The fact is, if you spend on the trail between
    September and June, you know that a sleeping bag rated to 15[degrees]F is too much of a good thing.

For Fair weather camping you need a single-season tote, a "summertime mummy" that will take the edge off the coolest nights
    without breaking the back, bank, or internal thermometer. Ranked to 35[degrees]F or 40[degrees]F, these totes sport a small but
    reliable quantity of insulation--sufficient to handle the occasional summer dawn at greater elevations.

With Fill weights measured in ounces rather than pounds, these bags allow your entire own body heat and moisture to escape, which
    is vital on midsummer evenings that are cool but sticky. These sacks add your mat when it is just too hot to creep inside and a
    little bit of cushion or tuck away into pouches when dog times segue into sweltering nights.

For This field trial we selected seven summer mummies that weigh 2 pounds or less and more retail for under $200. They comprise
    full-length double zippers for ventilation and five synthetic models, all with layouts that are fairly simple , standard tapers
    and zipper positioning, and two down. Mountain Hardwear's Down Update, 1 tote, was hoodless; the rest split between hoods that are
    horizontal and sculpted.

The Key ingredients to think about when buying any bag a bright summer sack, are fills and casing stuff. Down insulates
    effectively boasting exceptional compressibility and a better warmth-to-weight ratio. When wet, however, goose feathers flatten https://github.com/campinglife/Sleep...ag-For-Camping
    and refuse to catch your own body warmth. With a synthetic--our evaluation comprised Polarguard 3D, Micro-loft, Lite Loft, and
    Quallofil--you can expect performance faster, and dry or wet drying times if the insulation have soaked.

Shells Exist to defend bags from leaky, and end, spilled cocoa tents. Our evaluation bags utilized either a cotton microfiber,
    ripstop nylon, or nylon taffeta, all of which rely on tightly woven fibers and durable water repellent (DOOR) treatments to turn
    away wind and water. Whereas nylon is a rugged material for its weight, as a rule of thumb, polyester absorbs moisture and UV rays
    that are fewer.

Your Final choice should be based on how and where you sleep. If you perspire heavily or prefer extended hikes in surroundings,
    the insulation will get wet, along with a moist synthetic sleeper always beats a sofa of sodden feathers. If you stick to
    habitats, the feel of downward makes fills seem rather stiff and bulky.

To Examine those seven mummies, we invited them to play rough and assembled a team. They crisscrossed New England in search of
    rain, sleet, heat, and humidity, and cumulatively spent at the sack. Nighttime temperatures ranged from 30[degrees] to
    70[degrees]F, and also the backcountry accommodations included bivy sacks, tents, and three-sided shelters. Each tester utilized
    self-inflating mattress, a typical depth.

Here Are our expert snoozers:

Paula Caanon is an avid hiker and canoeist who finished a five-year managerial stint with a top retailer. Her eye for detail
    helped her distinct pretenders from actors. "Fit and serve mean more to me than bells and whistles," she explained, and her
    evaluations represented her preference for smart, streamlined bags. At 5'2", Paula fit best into the smallest of those
    regular-size bags, discovering too much room at the bottoms of several versions.

Mike A syndicated author with years of hiking experience, Lanza, spent the summer rambling over more than 1,000 miles of trails in
    the backwoods of Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire. Mike stands 5'8", favors the easy protector of a tarp, and describes himself
    as a hot sleeper. Often on the trail for 10 or even times at one time, a weather-resistant tote is valued by Mike.

Jeff Scher spent 10 years promoting other outdoor gear to bankroll his climbing, bicycling, and back-packing adventures and
    sleeping bags. He now spends many nights beneath the stars as staff photographer and equipment manager for Any-place Wild,
    Backpacker's new PBS television series (see insert for program guide). A shade over 5'6", Jeff employs a regular-size tote, but
    often linds room in the base to get a sweater or camera equipment. Jeff is known to Oreos to kickstart his furnace although he's a
    sleeper.

Yours My back has personal knowledge of soft sloped, and stick-infested terrain . I consider myself a pretty tough critic of the
    things I rely on for comfort and warmth in the outdoors. At 6'6", I float from most sleeping bags, such as several of those
    "longs" in this test. I sleep with an occasional two or two as the night breaks into sunrise, on the side.

In The course of testing, we discovered several design characteristics that produce a bag more attractive for summertime
    slumbering. As you believe our tests and examine the evaluations and specifications for individual bags, Remember the following
    trail-tested recommendations:

* Roominess is a justifiable and highly desirable feature in a summertime mummy. Considering bags in this class pack so little and
    light, we concurred that lugging a couple of ounces is a fair trade for extra shoulder, hip, and leg room. A sack may be harder to
    warm on chilly mornings, but a sack can suffocate you on those nights when it's not too hot, but not too cold either. Once the
    temperature does drop plus, a cut that is wider lets you layer on some clothing.

* Though our evaluation bags spent a lot of time draped over our bodies rather than zipped around them, we saw great cause for
    hoods and adequate draft tubes. During a group visit to Vermont in early autumn, we all nestled deep into our bags and scattering
    the hoods tight as the mercury fell below 40 [degrees] F. On those marginal nights, we really noticed the wimpier hoods and draft
    tubes since they did a poor job of keeping out cool breezes.

* Since the two-way zipper of a summer mummy gets a lot of activity, we became sticklers for zipper guards. We were not perturbed
    by anything more to the fabric with each excursion down and up its track. The actors featured a nylon flap which jutted out from
    beneath the upper row of zipper teeth.

To Create your job easier, we have recorded the bag ratings depending on their overall rankings, together with the bags which
    fared best. Bear in mind, however, that your tastes and dimensions may suggest a bag with scores in a number of categories, but a
    lower ranking.

1. Western Mountaineering Iroquois

The Exquisite Iroquois was the lightest and warmest bag in our test, and it snared the crew's "ultimate summer sleeper" award.
    Stuffed with goose down, this tote handled night temperatures well below its 35[degrees]F rating, but compacted to the size of two
    1-quart bottles. Said Jeff, "This fat bag kept my skinny little butt fine and warm."

173606414.jpg

The Testers saw nothing sloppy about this one. We scooped hood, and admired the stitching, roomy inside, and we did not spot a
    feather. The nylon taffeta shell repelled a minor moisture occasions, without dampening the down, including a light twist that
    cascaded off my sample. Some cold air did sneak through the zipper, which has a nylon guard but no draft tube, and throughout the
    seams dividing the compartments that are down-packed, however, the net effect was inconsequential.

Through On many launderings and the road, the Iroquois revealed no wear and tear or lack of loft. Mike, who used the regular-size
    sample last, reported at the end of the test that the bag was in "great shape." The down should continue as if the bag, unless the
    superlight taffeta shell snags. The shell appeared to resist abrasion well, but this bag would be treated by me tenderly. It was
    the sleeper in the evaluation in $195, and feathers don't fly.

Bottom Line: Testers grudgingly parted with this plump, beautifully crafted. For snoozing on crisp summer nights, look no more.

2. Mountain Hardwear Down Upgrade

Versatile, Compact, and super-fluffy, this tote was an instant crowd favourite. Outfitted with double zippers, the hoodless Update
    works as a summer mummy rated to quite a conservative 40[degrees]F and as a liner bag that will stretch your sleeper that is
    three-season to the winter months. It requires very little space once packaged. "I really could fit a gorilla within my package
    beside this itsy-bitsy bundle!" exclaimed Mike.

Stuffed With goose down, this sack was toastier than any of our synthetic models. I used it on a Vermont hillside with no tent
    through a September snap and had a cap to remain warm and cozy. On the downside, I was roasted by the Upgrade when temperatures
    jumped to 45 [degrees] F, which would make it one sweaty sack in several summer locales.
    https://github.com/campinglife/Sleep...hould-I-Get%3F
    Jeff Raised several concerns regarding the bag's durability, cescribing the nylon shell and lining as "delicate" and reporting the
    loss of a small quantity of down through the seams. Mike and I noticed several flying feathers, but those were generally
    overlooked by us in favor of the smart detailing and good weatherproofing of the Upgrade. We noted that condensation dispersed
    readily from the bag's surface and beaded.

Like L.L. Bean's Ultra-Lite, the Upgrade fit everyone with space to spare. Mike could bring his knees and I found room for wet
    clothes that needed to dry. And despite tile lack of a hood, I could disappear almost entirely when diving into the bowels of the
    bag, all 6'6" of me.

Bottom Lineup: The Update wowed testers with compressibility its flexibility, and sustainable efficiency. Notice: Since our
    evaluation, Mountain Hardwear has improved the Update with its exceptional "Crazy Legs" attribute: elastic baffing round the knees
    to allow more wiggle room

3. L.L. Bean Ultra-Lite Mummy

A Spare but summer mummy with lofting speed and warmth, the Ultra-Lite of Bean came through in a pinch for at least two of our
    testers. When a leak was sprung by the tent of Mike on a rainy night in northern New Hampshire, this 40[degrees]F sleeper kept him
    warm despite a rising puddle that saturated foot and the bag's sides. Similarly, th Bean bag kept me toasty when an injury forced
    me to climb in one night without dinner a situation for a calorie-starved and chilly right.

As Jeff and Paula noted in their evaluations, this Lite Loft sack reached its entire attic and insulated. It held very little
    moisture, so coming from the washing machine early dry. The Ultra-Lite received high marks in the section that was
    weatherproofing, also, sporting a nylon shell, a slim but contoured hood, and a draft tube with the act of a waxed duck.

In Exchange for weatherproofing, this L.L. Bean tote did appear to sacrifice a little bit of ventilation. Though its soft liner
    felt clammy, it tended to have stuffy on humid nights. The lining swaddled me like a set of soft flannel sheets transporting away
    perspiration from . Ny skin to keep me from becoming cold.

Durability And spaciousness were just two strengths of tile Ultra-Lite. Jeff wrote that "this sleeper's nylon shell and ether
    robust elements should last several years with good maintenance," and Paula commended the cut because "roomy in all the right
    places, and snug and cozy elsewhere." Even I liked a good deal of elbow and head room.

Bottom Line: An exceptional value at $99, the summer sofa of Bean proved summer performer and a sturdy.

New-Sleeping-Bag.jpg

Weight: Number is size bag in its stuff sack. The manufacturer supplied the number.

Compressibility: Does the stuffed bag take up less or more space than it needs to? Do you require a magician (or gorilla) to stuff
    it in the sack provided? (After the evaluation, the bags were also compared side by side in their materials sacks.)

Loft: Does the bag tug up after unstuffing it? Does the insulation loft after multiple washings? When wet, how well does this
    attic? (After the evaluation, the bags have been washed and dried, allowed to attic for a day, and then compared side by side.)

Roominess: Is there elbow and roll-around room, or does sleeping in this mummy make you feel like one?

Temperature Rating: Is the evaluation optimistic (cold luggage receive a low score), reasonable (average score), or standard (warm
    bags receive a high score)?

Weatherproofing: How well does the bag shell protect the insulation and the sleeper from wet ground end, condensation, or even a
    leaky tent? Any spots around the hood, zipper, or draft pipes?

Ventilation: Would you cool off on warm nights? Does the insulating material breathe well? How well does the bag liner manage
    perspiration? Does this get sticky, clammy, and smelly?

Drying Time In The Area: After a damp night (steamy, sweaty, leaky tent), how quickly does the bag dry out in sunlight? Are the
    shell and liner dark-colored to absorb heat quicker?

Construction Quality: How well is that the tote put? Includes nice design touches, cluttered stitching, stubborn zippers,
    sewn-through stains, etc..

Overall: This score isn't an average of other evaluations, but reflects a relative judgment with other bags in the test and having
    an "ideal" summer sleeper.

Numerical Rating Scale

1 Poor, miserable; two Fair, OEI, but...; 3 Good, decent gear; 4 Really good, beats most; 5 Excellent, superior gear

4. The North Face Tourlight

The Tourlight topped the heap among our bags in a number of categories, and an outstanding performance was turned into by its own https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-types-sleeping-bags-dave-stenie
    Polarguard 3D insulation. Following a few evenings during our visit to Vermont, we agreed that the Tourlight deserved its
    35[degrees]F score. As loft, the tote blew up like a balloon, even after months and multiple washings at a stuff sack for.

This Bag offered protection from creeping cold, and rain, wind. "During a bivy on Lake Superior," reported Jeff, "a puddle of dew
    covered the bag but beaded up and flew off with a single shake." Other testers noted the complete lack of drafts and cold spots,
    and also my notes remembered a "weather-resistant winner who cinches down just like a winter mummy." In terms of building Paula
    and Jeff raved about components and the bag's stitching, calling it 10 or 15 decades, a sack that should last.

The Crew criticisms targeted the Tourlight girth, hanging zipper, and liner. Paula considered the close quarters "overly
    restrictive," and Jeff discovered the match "tighter than my 6-year-old jeans." I felt constricted but found fault with all the
    tote's hanging liner. Since free of its shell floats, rather than being anchored at a side seam or baffles, while the sack stays
    put the sack will move with you. The Tourlight frequently wrapped around me. Yet another nit to pick: This bag lacks we wanted to
    get more ventilation a zipper protector, which caused bothersome midnight tussles.

Bottom Line: The Tourlight won high marks for its quality workmanship and thermal performance, but lost points because of
    constrictive match and its zipper, making for a tacky sleeping environment in the dead of summer.

5. (tied) Ferrino HL Micro

The HL Micro is compact and light, to be sure, but not warm. Stuffed with two thin layers of Micro-loft, this bag possesses what
    Jeff somewhat facetiously known as "negative lofting attributes" It had been the coldest bag in the test, with its 37[degrees]F
    rating approximately 10[degrees]F generous, the testers concluded.

While A chilly mornings were created to get by the lack of insulation, in addition, it enabled the HL Micro to score in several
    categories. The tote stuffed bigger taking up less pack space than any other bag it breathed like a mesh top and dried in an
    instant.

Several Testers praised Ferrino's attention to structure and detail. Paula called the HL Micro that a "very solid and solidly
    crafted bag," and Mike complimented the zipper guard and draft tube. In terms of the materials, we worried about climate
    resistance and also the durability of the bag fabrics. Paula reported that the shell appeared unusually moist from morning dew,
    and the casing of my test bag revealed a little snagging.

Accessible In 1 size only, the medium-length HL Micro squished mepersonally, but abandoned the other testers plenty of leeway to
    burrow down deep. "On a few cool mornings," said Mike, "I was happy that I could bring my knees up to my chest and get dressed
    within the bag."

Bottom Line: folks who wish to go fast and light in warmer climes will be satisfied by The silky-smooth HL Micro.

5. (tied) Slumberjack Super Liner

This Sleeper was earning scores for warmth, its cost, and girth, but low marks because of the weight, a mixed bag lining,
    detailing, and length. At $95, it was the lowest priced sack in the test, but also one of the bulkiest. Mike and I believed
    lofting attributes were demonstrated by the Quallofil insulation and met the 40[degrees]F rating. Jeff, on the other hand, found
    that the score a trifle optimistic and the attic disappointing.

The Super Liner's wide cut could adapt a lumberjack or two, but its span left us longing for headroom. Its sack-within-a-sack
    structure caused a couple of problems (see the North Face Tourlight description above). Wrote Mike, "this design typically led to
    the bag wrapping around me like a boa."

In Terms of weatherproofing and construction quality, the Super Liner earned reviews that were varied. The ripstop shell and
    lining proved durable under misuse, but I wondered about an exposed seam around the footbox, and in which the zipper fulfilled the
    hood, Jeff detected some stitching. The shell did work tirelessly in tent during Hurricane dampness and discomfort.

Bottom Line: the Super Liner of Slumber jack is a body with adequate properties, but design flaws.

6. Cascade Designs Synergy 40

Despite The initial guarantee of its cut and book sleeping pad sleeve, this tote faded. All three sample sleepers suffered
    blowouts through the washing machine from just after a week of use, the seam around the footbox and the others following their
    voyages. (Cascade Designs assures us that they have corrected this design flaw by anchoring the shell more firmly to the
    underlying quilting.)

The Synergy's nylon casing provided exceptional weather resistance, and Jeff and I admired the capacity of its Polarguard 3D
    insulation, but more compliments than that was hard to come by. The roomy-looking cut disguised what Paula called "a rather snug
    fit within the body and shoulders," along with the sleeping mat coaxed my mattress out from under me every time I rolled over. The
    sleeve is designed to maintain your pad. If you sleep as still as a mummy, it works great, but if you roll over, the mat comes
    with you and you're left hugging the ground.

The Crew expressed concern over the tote's excessive bulk. This 2 1/2-pounder has been The test's most heavy, and its stuffed size
    was that of the smallest bags. For we believed that the Synergy Should pack smaller than a 20[degrees]F sack (which it did not)
    and price less Compared to 154, the greatest price in the evaluation.
    Last edited by firosiro; 11-05-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Hi,

To answer some of your questions, I have to ask some of my own.

1. What is the max size of ABS parts you plan on building?

But as far as the choices you've selected thus far.

1. Airwolf Axiom - Have read some negative reviews online, perhaps join the Airwolf owners group on Facebook and ask around for their experience.
    2. Makerbot - Does not print ABS.
    3. Cube Pro - Already discontinued machine, you will get no support from 3Dsystems, and you'll need it.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by firosiro View Post
    Hey there everyone, I am new to the forum and to 3d printing. I have been looking around and watching videos on different printers so I have it narrowed down to a few printers I would like to get some more information on.

First though this printer is actually for a tool and die shop I work at and my boss has put me in charge of getting information and finding the right printer for what we want to do. Most of the stuff we would like to do is making fixtures for aerospace companies. We are open for doing small random stuff that is all over the internet as well. From the research I have done most of our printing will be done out of ABS.

The three printers we are looking at are:
    Airwolf axiom
    makerbot
    cube pro

The biggest question I have right now is how important is it to have a heated print bed for abs? If its a make or break for abs that leaves just the axiom which we are leaning towards right now.
    What are some good options other than those three that have comparable tech specs? Our budget is around the $5000 mark.

Any other tips and hints are welcome too.
    Last edited by sindrele; 07-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.

The Fusion3 design printers would also fit in you budget. I was listening to the 3d printing today pod cast and they thought it was good.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    A heated bed AND a heated enclosure make for much better ABS prints.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Yep - basically if you do not have a heated enclosure - don't bother with abs.