Close

plastic flicking up and dragging

It seems that some of my plastic as it is being printed "flicks up" a little bit and then gets exacerbated when the nozzle drags it around. Also, at some point, the bottom layer gets picked up because of being dragged around and the whole print goes to hell. I have a heated bed at 70C, 190C for extruder, and no fan on at all (I'm guessing this could be the problem?) what should I be using? I have a printrbot with PLA and a blue-tape bed on glass.

unnamed.jpgunnamed2.jpg

Can't quite make it out from the picture. Is the plastic lifting up from the bed or are you getting nodules on the top layer that are catching on the print head? If it's the former, first layer height is too high or your bed is not level. If the latter, you're over extruding and need to calibrate e-steps per mm.

Technician
    From watching the pictures I would say it's the former and the latter, the first layer looks pretty high in the second picture, and you got oozing on corners in the first picture so too much filament is coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by prismspecs View Post
    It seems that some of my plastic as it is being printed "flicks up" a little bit and then gets exacerbated when the nozzle drags it around. Also, at some point, the bottom layer gets picked up because of being dragged around and the whole print goes to hell. I have a heated bed at 70C, 190C for extruder, and no fan on at all (I'm guessing this could be the problem?) what should I be using? I have a printrbot with PLA and a blue-tape bed on glass.

unnamed.jpgunnamed2.jpg
    If you're using blue tape you shouldn't need to heat the bed at all, warm blue tape doesn't hold as well as the wax backing melts. 70° would be too hot anyway as it's above PLA transition point, 55° with Kapton would be as high as you'd want to go.
    As other people have said unlevel bed and wrong e steps would cause bobbles.