Close

Question Looking For 3D Printer To recreate Rubber Marginals (see photo)

I am inquiring about finding a 3D printer that can recreate rubber marginal for the purpose of offset printing.
    Marginals are pretty flat rubber that we manually place on top of a thick, black, sticky pad.
    These are then placed on drums that rotate on our presses, continually dip into ink (red or black) and then transfer onto paper.

- These marginals are made up of rubber that can handle runs from 1,000 up to 100,000.

The way that we currently do this is very time consuming and antiquated. We have to print on clear film, expose on the rubber, put in chemicals/water to wash and the bake the sheets.

Ideally I would like to see if this is somethin that can have a 3D build or with a laser that etches out of an already cured rubber sheet.

Thanks in advance for your time.

-Stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We not only have laser heads and CO2 lasers for our printers, but we can print in RTV Silicone, too. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    I don't see why that can't be done. I am sure the filament that you use will be the biggest factor on how long it will last. Where are you located?
    We are located in Long Island, New York. If you have any solutions or can chat, please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks for the videos. I forgot to mention that we would need a process that could cure the rubber fairly quickly. I'm really looking for an on-demand solution that can print in minutes. The silicone seems pretty flexible. We would need our rubber to be pretty hard and sturdy. Also, the most important thing is that it can grab the ink to then transfer to paper. If you think this can be accomplished, please give me your contact information. Thank you.

Staff Engineer
    This might be easier to do as a cutting operation than a printing one. A laser cutter might be suitable, but depending on the material it might make a big stink. But a drag knife in a CNC router should work to cut rubber sheets. A printing process might be done in minutes, but it could take a lot of them...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, fairly thin so quick and easy to 3d print.
    And I've used pretty stiff rubber filament. for a variety of things from gutter seals to miniature rubber tires (3mm diameter)

The ony issue you'd have with fdm printed rubber would be that the surface is never going to be completely smooth.
    And that's something that will probably come out during printing.

How thick/high/tall are the letters on the marginals ?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Actually, printing in something like ninjaflex might be a good solution, but there would need to be some by-hand post-processing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    You'd need semi-flex, ninjaflex is too soft.
    The black rubber filament I use is even stiffer than that.
    FlexiSmart - that's the stuff.
    You'd need to do tests, but should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    You'd need semi-flex, ninjaflex is too soft.
    The black rubber filament I use is even stiffer than that.
    FlexiSmart - that's the stuff.
    You'd need to do tests, but should do the job.
    The letters are about 1/16 in height.
    Based on all the information, is there anything you can suggest using?