Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Student
    offer gratefully received

Student
    Well..I have officially popped my 3D printing cherry

The Wanhoa test model 'hand' has been printed. I am pretty pleased with the result. The definition on the model is pretty good, and the thing printed without a hitch. Now I can start printing upgrade parts for my printer and planning my project builds. I'm one happy bunny today

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    He's right you know - we like pictures :-)
    words are so last century ;-)

yeah, what layer height was that ?

Very clean print. Loving that satin finish filament as well !

Student
    Not sure...that was the sample print they include. No idea on settings, but I guess it's the best quality. Going to try some stuff from scratch next. See how I get on

update:

Going like a dream

Found a Simplfy profile online that works well with my printer, and am currently cranking out a Warhammer Dreadnought I found on Thingiverse for the kids to add to their collection!
    Last edited by proto-typer; 07-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Student
    Been busy over the weekend and am just about to glue together my first build. Went pretty well. Discovered a few parts printer really badly if laid out one way, but really well flipped up, which has given me some good insights into how important it is to think about your layout rather than just print!

I also tried printing without a 'raft' after I broke a delicate part getting it separated. That worked not quite so well. Some picking up of the base layer presumably due to the heated bed being the wrong temp. Might try upping it a fraction and see if that helps.

Don't know if it's worth starting a thread in the printer specific section to document my experiments....
    Last edited by proto-typer; 07-17-2017 at 01:30 PM.

go for it :-)
    And getting the first layer to stick is the single most important aspect of 3d printing, as well as often being the trickiest.

Print it very very slowly - on average 10% of main print speed is a good place to start. bed temperature not as important as a properly calibrated bed and slow first layer speed.
    You also want any print area cooling fans to be off for the first layer or 2.

I haven't used a raft since i started using pla.
    And that's a year or so using tape, pva glass etc until I discovered Printbite.
    It ain't cheap but it is very nearly as good as they say it is :-)
    https://flex3drive.com/printbite/
    check it out

Student
    I will play about with the print speed and the various settings I can mess with in Simplify .... that may well help get the initial layer nice. The larger areas printed OK, but the finer stuff did not stick well. The raft cures that by always being a large area .... but I know the prints will have a better finish on the 'flat' side if I don't use a raft.

I am learning a lot .... and tips like this is making it much easier to progress

Printbite isn't cheap .... but it's not so expensive that I can't give it a go. Payday isn't far away, so for the next week or so I will see if I can cure my problem with settings....then I'll give a sheet a go if I can't get it right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12