Well...youi go to start somewhere!

I have done more research than I care to mention, and tried posting on a few other forums, but some of them seem pretty dead and replies hard to come by. This place seems much more alive!

Basically, I am about to take my first steps in the worls of 3D printing. I have a budget, I have a good idea what I want to do with the printer and what sort of things are important to me. What I don't have is the luxury of enough diospoable income to buy something that won;t work, as I literally can only take one shot at this over hte next year or so. Makes me a little nervous!

As far as what I wish to print goes, I want to print custom RC parts for 1/16 rc tanks and 1/72-1:35 model kits, non structural RC parts and parts for small projects at home. Would also be nice to turn some of my 3d modelling projects into desk ornaments That would mean PLA and ABS capability up to a max of 150mm x 150mm by 100mm. 100 micron 'resolution' should be fine, but as I am not printing huge sized models, a finer 50 micron print would be a nice option but not essential. If the printer can't cope with the finer detail to start with..being able to upgrade it would be a nice option when funds allow.

I have no problem building a kit, as I have tools aplenty and experience building models/machines at all scales, can solder and know when NOT to use a big hammer... but I do worry about setting up and getting printing as it's virgin territory, and some of the manuals can be a little bit....vague....I hear. Have had to cope with a few clone chinese manuals put together by people who did not speak any language I recognise.

I don't want a printer that uses 'proprietary' cartridges for filament, and don't need multi-colour printing as all the bits would get primed and painted anyway.

Budgetwise, I can spend up to around £400 and maybe squeeze a bit more if the benefits are there, but would much rather spend less if I can. I am distrustful of the build quality of the sub £200 kits flooding out of China, but have heard better things said about some of them like the Anet A8 and Anycubic I3. I know they are all clones of the Prusa I3, but the budget won't stetch to a 'genuine' one. I presume they save costs using cheaper electronics ( something I know well from RC electronics ) but as long as you don't push them to the limits, they can be OK. They can also be utter rubbish.....

I have read some good reports on Qidi here, and they do a 'mini' printer that is in budget, but they are all shipped from China, so there is the fear of ...c.u.s.t.o.m.s....

Any thoughts or advice to help me choose?