Hi All,

Some of you may have heard of or seen the GUS Simpson printer from a couple of years ago. Personally I think it's awesome. However it suffered from some issues. I'm currently working on a revision of the GUS, trying to fix or improve anything I can think of.
Just wanted to start a thread here for anyone who wanted to collaborate, suggest ideas or improvements, or point out where I've done something stupid.

I have a few major goals.
-User friendliness
-Usability
-As many standard or readily available parts as possible, and as few different parts as possible.
-Improve mechanics and print ability
-Make it cheap, make it scale-able. Using only rotating joints is a big plus to the GUS style printer.

I have a bunch of improvements I've implemented or plan on implementing, but more is always better. Right now I'm trying to decide on the build area for the printer, since the GUS style printers have an a typical build volume (approximately a trigonal base pyramid with bulged sides) it's not as simple as saying "200 mm cubed". Besides, who uses all of that build volume (especially the Z?) to begin with?

The design will be fully parametric and open source. I'm hoping I'll be able to slim things down to ~5 parameters that the end user can tweak to customize the machine to their needs (desired build volume, how large of a printer they have available to print the parts), input the details of the hardware they want to use (if it's different from what I'm using), and everything else will be calculated to fit automatically.

Feel free to ask questions/make suggestions. I'll document as I go if people are interested.