Close

Nema 17 stepper motor?

What's the difference between these two? There seems to be a huge price gap.

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-n...d-printer.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Stepper...item417da2d263

1. The sainsmart stepper has a 300mm lead screw attached. Lead screws are expensive, and you would not normally use them on a DIY printer. Everything on the sainsmart web page is expensive.

2. I'd expect to pay about $17 for a stepper motor, so with the extra items, that's is a good deal on ebay. There is usually nothing to go wrong with stepper motors. It is usually the arduino clones and RAMPS board that you will have trouble with.

Old Man Emu

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    1. The sainsmart stepper has a 300mm lead screw attached. Lead screws are expensive, and you would not normally use them on a DIY printer. Everything on the sainsmart web page is expensive.

2. I'd expect to pay about $17 for a stepper motor, so with the extra items, that's is a good deal on ebay. There is usually nothing to go wrong with stepper motors. It is usually the arduino clones and RAMPS board that you will have trouble with.

Old Man Emu
    The Sainsmart one has a nicely machined multi-start leadscrew that's better quality than threaded rod..The ebay link is just stepper motors with pulleys. They seem to be awesome assuming they actually work.

To use the leadscrew, you would also have to buy a lot of other components. This might be OK if your building budget is getting around $5000, but if you are a hobbyist, or early experimenter, threaded rod can provide highly accurate motion.

The ebay package has all the gear you need to convert pulses to motion. I'd buy it if I was building a printer that used NEMA 17s. My next project will use NEMA 23s.

OME