Close

Health and safety questions

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to 3D printing so do pardon me if my question below is too obvious or stupid.

We have a Stratasys Connex2 350 printer in our lab and I used FullCure705 support + RGD-835 (VeroWhitePlus) to print some parts. I was in a bit of rush so only waited for like 10-15 minutes after the printing was finished, and took the part out of the bed. I didn't wear any gloves or masks. After I took it out, I realised the bottom of the part was still a bit wet, and also inhaled a little bit of the material, which has a strong smell.

I didn't feel anything uncomfortable, but I do wonder how long should I normally wait for the parts to cool down after it's finished? Also is it okay to touch the part by hand or inhale it, or should I always use gloves to handle it no matter what?

Thanks!

Staff Engineer

I think you're right to be concerned

although if you're feeling well now, you probably got away with it this time. If you do have questions about an industrial material like this, you can easily look up the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and find out what you're dealing with. Here's one for the VeroWhite:

http://usglobalimages.stratasys.com/...30841783951532

And here's the one for the support material: http://www.cadcamsystems.com/wp-cont...7-Version2.pdf

Of the two, it seems that the Vero White is more toxic, but neither of them would qualify as health foods. Wear gloves when you're dealing with materials like this, provide good ventilation, avoid breathing the fumes, and try to keep the sticky chemicals from getting on things you might accidentally contact later.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    What does the manufacturer recommend? What do the MSDS's say about the material?

You can ask all you want on the internet, but those two sources are the only place you will find the right answer to those questions. If you don't have access to these documents, then demand that you do. I believe the MSDS access is federal law at this point, for a public environment like a lab (work or school).

Yes, I know it's SDS now, but MSDS gets the point across better, IMO.

But it boils down to this: I was a flight medic for many years, and we had a saying: "If it's wet and sticky, and not yours, leave it alone". Don't inhale fumes, Don't inhale the part, Don't eat the part, Filament or resin should not be inhaled. Not for use on Children under 37.5 months. Warranty void if eaten by shark (that's a real one for Pelican cases, check it out). In case of alien invasion, your 3dprinter can be used as life raft, but probably not very well.

Read the instructions and use common sense. Respiratory issues would have presented themselves within minutes after inhalation, or 40 years from now. So I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies so far. My colleague advised that as long as the materials are cured, there shouldn't be too much harm. Nevertheless, I will remember to wear gloves next time and give the parts long enough time to cool down.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I have worked with these printers before and as far as I know the materials are only mild irritants.
    It is good practice to wear nitrile gloves, more for the reason to keep all the support material in one room after printing than to protect your hands.