Close

Question Two puzzling print behaviors w/ Hictop Prusa i3

So the first issue I am having trouble with is fairly innocuous (it doesn't completely ruin prints but is very annoying nonetheless). At seemingly random points in a print, the printer will suddenly re-zero the x or y axis and then continue on its merry way, leaving one or two ruined layers in its wake. It only seems to happen when I try to use a layer height smaller than the default 0.3 mm. Also, the issue is inconsistent from one print to another, even if it's the same g-code and same part that it is running, which suggests that Slic3r may not be to blame here.

The second issue is much more serious: again, at seemingly random, inconsistent points in the print, the print head will suddenly stop moving while executing a perimeter, then suddenly and violently retract the filament until it completely pops out of the extruder assembly. After this, it goes through the rest of the print as if nothing happened.

I have experienced the first issue from time to time with previous prints and models, but both issues seem to be very prevalent with the latest model I've been trying to print. Attached you will find the STL file and a screenshot in Slic3r.pawn_mk2.stl <- That's the STL file apparently.
    Screenshot (4).jpg
    Last edited by saucepicious; 05-28-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: from plural to singular

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have made a EFI Shield for Hictop Aluminum Printers download from Tinker-cad below
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/h0AXk5 ... r-cover-v4

Make a trip to your local hardware store and purchase a roll of Aluminum Duct Tape about $4.00.

1. What is required is to print the Above case or one of your own design.
    2. Cover all areas inside the Printed case Include a least one screw for GND. Making sure you cut out all the holes. Added A fan for cooling purposes.
    3. Attach the Cover to your Controller Card and You are Done.

4. For added protection covered the MLCD2004 cover also (THIS IS NOT MY DESIGN) It can be downloaded from tinkercad.

If you use anything here please you state where you found.

EFI - (Electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio-frequency interference (RFI) )
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-13-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by saucepicious View Post
    So the first issue I am having trouble with is fairly innocuous (it doesn't completely ruin prints but is very annoying nonetheless). At seemingly random points in a print, the printer will suddenly re-zero the x or y axis and then continue on its merry way, leaving one or two ruined layers in its wake.
    You may also want to read my posts here
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 07-03-2017 at 01:57 PM.