Close

Hybrid View

Cheap printer to create ring prototypes

Hi all,

I'm a newb when it comes to 3D printing however I am very computer. I have a need to create some various finger ring prototypes and am looking at printers. From the research I've done, I think I've boiled it down to the Maker Select Plus and the MP Select Mini 3D V2 both from monoprice.com. Any insight or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    for small stuff. out of those two I'd go for the mp select mini.

Staff Engineer
    Are you planning to produce a line of plastic rings, or is the idea to cast them in metal? If it's the latter, most jewelers use resin printers for that, with special resins that burn out cleanly. PLA burns out okay, but you've got to like the striations inherent in the FDM process.

well you can sand them out or smooth it.
    plus there are a few filaments speifically for casting around now.

Decided to go with the MP Select Mini 3D V2. The prototypes aren't for casting purposes awerby. Just for the functionality and testing different designs. It's actually for an idea for a product I have. They're to serve a specific purpose, not for bling.

I would have recommended a $99 ONO SLA printer (https://www.ono3d.net), it's just about ready to hit the market. It was a Kickstarter project a little over a year ago, they were fully funded for $80K in about 33 minutes. It uses a smartphone as the imaging device and, depending on the phone, can produce up to 42 micron resolution. They offer a variety of resins, one is a castable resin for producing lost-wax metal castings. They've had some bumps in the manufacturing pipeline but they just released a beta of the app that works with the smartphone and it's pretty solid.

Best to wait till the ono has actually shipped and not gone bankrupt before ordering one.
    Once people realise that they'll have to buy an extra phone to run it, not sure how popular it will be.

I think it's a great idea, but I refuse to carry a smart phone.
    People who do won't want it tied up for hours at a time printing.

I would recommend you to https://manysolutions.com/ono-3d-printer.html they have cheap and reliable 3d printers at there website i have bought a new 3d printer from there site and it works great for me its been 1 year and its been working great for me.
    Last edited by manysolutions; 11-06-2017 at 12:55 AM.