Close

Thread: Electric Shock

Electric Shock

Has anyone had any issues with getting shocked while printing? I've contacted Tang from Flashforge Amazon and he suggested it's the power supply..... How on earth could a bad power supply be causing electrical shock while printing?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bad earth ?

What are you getting the shock from ?

Super Moderator
    Could be as simple as a pinched wire somewhere. What is the "shock" like? A tingling low voltage type like touching a 9v battery to your tongue or more substantial? If it is a substantial shock then unplug until you resolve it since it will probably go up in smoke.

It's similar to a 9 volt definitely. I've posted on the thingiverse Flashforge forums and it appears that I'm not the only one........
    the shock comes from the metal screws, the metal edges where the paint is normally the thinnest on the metal body... although the insides don't seem to carry the charge... seems it's just the outside metal parts..

Super Moderator
    I would say it is a bad or miss-wired power supply. Could be a pinched wire somewhere. I'd see if you can get a new supply out of them. Otherwise you're going to want to search every wire to make sure there isn't a bare spot or a pinch.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Electrical shock can be caused by 2 wire plugs that are reversed because they have no polarity pin. (Polarity pin is the larger one so the plug can only fit one way)
    It could be because we still have old buildings that have not been updated to 3 prong electrical sockets, and we use Adapters 2 prong to 3 prong to plug in our devices.

If you have a two wire plug or Socket it should be replaced with a 3 wire plug or socket, If you have a DIY 3D Printer you can use a old computer cord capable of supply sufficient current. As the Case of the Power supply should have a earth ground this prevents eddy currents floating on the case.

USA only as Do not know about Electrical in Other Country's
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-21-2017 at 10:29 AM.