Close

Looking at getting into 3D printing questions

I have a object I want to print I have freeCAD but I'm not 100% sure the total size of the object is but I'm sure the CTC 3D printer I'm looking at getting should be able to print it? I have a bunch of questions..

1. What type of Filament should I use PLA or ABS? It's primary use would be inside a car
    2. What software do I use to print and how do I print from the files?
    3. given this printer seems to be made on the outside of wood is it going to be durable enough?

If I can think of anything else I will ask

Anyone?? I really want to make sure if any improvements can be made as well

Technologist
    ABS will last longer, has a higher melting point and is easier to sand and shape post print.

There are plenty of free or paid for packages. I use Simply3D, which is quite expensive, but well supported and easy to use.

The plywood frame is robust and fairly rigid. There is a limit to accuracy and layer height, so don't expect miracles at this price!

3D printing is a skill and you will find there is a learning curve to getting the best out of the printer. Don't expect a perfect print the first time you hit the go button!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pet-g will last longer than abs, has higher glass point and is much easier to use and doesn't stink while printing :-)

Personally I'd go for the monoprice rather than ctc.
    Lot of quality control issues with ctc machines that you don't seem to get with the monoprice versions.