Close

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    hey ca, quick question, in S3D, what do you have your build volume set to? 140x140? I had mine at 200x200, but that is obviously too big. S3D says diameter * .707 .

With the 0.5 mm nozzle, how is the detail? Got a close up print of your latest setting ( 0.5 nozzle with 0.4 layer height???

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    140x140

Hmm, keyboard needs cleaning :-)

Fine detail wise, go find the iris box pictures., few pages back i think.
    Also the acorn brooch.

Honestly I've not noticed any difference between the 0.4 and 0.5 as far as quality and detail goes.
    But if you tryn and print 0.4 with a 0.4mm nozzle simplify3d complains. It does still work, but there's some reason you shouldn't do it. You don't get that issue with the 0.5.

I've actually got a 0.8mm nozzle that I'll have to try out at some point. Bought a bag of cheap 0.5's, asI'm on the second nozzle already.
    Nearly up to 1.5km of filament used on Alexa !
    Which is around 5kg, I think.
    Not bad for just over 4 months and primarily small items.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-13-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Hmm, keyboard needs cleaning :-)

Fine detail wise, go find the iris box pictures., few pages back i think.
    Also the acorn brooch.

Nearly up to 1.5km of filament used on Alexa !
    Which is around 5kg, I think.
    Not bad for just over 4 months and primarily small items.
    I saw the iris and broaches. They look great. And that was a .5 mm nozzle? nice.

5 kg of filament is a lot for 4 months. On my first printer, I think I did a kg a month for the first 34 months.
    This one, not so much yet.

Spent the last several days trying to get the bed level. Could get the 3 points no problem, but it was far from smooth and level. the center dipped and the area between x and z was high. I now have 6 points around the perimeter level but the center is still down 0.1mm. Have to live with it for now. Had to get rid of the glass, as that was causing some issues.
    Probably need the print bite.
    Also will have to (want to ) compile in the distortion correction feature in repetier.

So here's the thing, printing fast at fairly large layer heights is ENTIRELY dependant on the filament.
    So far the flashforge filament has done absolutely everything I've asked it to - flawlessly.
    So someone asked for a yellow mould.

I've got some dayglo yellow from reprapper tech.
    Complete and total bastard !
    Dropped to 0.3mm and 75mm/s - and it's still not brilliant. I have finally got it to stick and apart from a slightly dodgy corner it's currently looking quite good.
    I'd forgotten what it's like to have first layer issues

I was talking to the last filament manufacturer in the uk at tct, and we got on to how colourant effects filament behaviour.
    he was saying the filament extruders run all day and you add colourant for whatever colour you want, you don't stop the machine when you add the colour.
    Unless you add yellow and then he said it'll pretty much always jam.
    After 2 hours fighting this stuff last night - I know exactly what he means !

This is the first and last yellow mould !
    lol
    had to up the print temp to 220, slow it right down and smoosh it to the point that I was just barely beyond the point where the nozzle is blocked.

The only other time I've used this stuff was a couple of years ago, And that was just little pumpkins, much easier first layer to print.
    Can't remember if I had problems then or not.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Technologist
    I'd forgotten what it's like to have first layer issues
    It is a sad club to join / be in. very frustrating.

Unless you add yellow and then he said it'll pretty much always jam.
    Sorry ca, can you explain what a little more? Is he saying it will pretty much jam up in the extruder? Cause adhesion issues? I don't quite follow.

when MAKING filament on an industrial scale, you run the filament making machine all the time, you don't stop when adding colourant.
    But when he adds the yellow colourant, it invariably jams up the machine.
    Basically whether you are making filament or printing with it, yellow is a bastard :-)

Oh yeah and those he3d glass build plates, if you happen to knock one onto a concrete floor - wow they sort of explode.
    A bit like windscreen glass in a car, it just shatters into hundreds of tiny squarish pieces.

Spent the last 2 days clearing out my workshop, and that was one of the casualties.
    So this was my workshop with 15 years of accumulated dead laptops, base units and other computer related crap and just plain crap. It's not a large room, basically a converted one car garage.

What came out and got taken away by a fantastic company from yorkshire: http://tmreuse.co.uk/
    They collect your electronic waste - FREE OF CHARGE ! This is important as everyone else who's ever phoned me, wanted lots of money to do the same thing.

Some of the actual rubbish that went to the local tip:

Took me all of tuesday and a couple hours wednesday morning to clear the workshop. Think a complex 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle that's taken 15 years to build.
    Even found 3 vhs video recorders !
    3 old dvd players and more redundant cables than you can shake a boa constrictor at :-)

Then all of wednesday to put the workshop back together - complete with my new shelves :-)
    Given that the 15 or so base units had been acting as 'shelves/tables' - I had an awful lot of stuff with nowhere left to go, so couldn't do anything till I'd bought some shelves and put them up.
    So I now have space for the BB to live once it's built :-)

More importantly, when i again start to accrue other peoples discarded computers, I've got a wonderful woman called Lorna to call who'll arrange for it to be taken away and recycled :-)
    Interestingly they even send me a certificate to say that they have crushed the old harddrives (about 60) - presumably part of the data security act.
    They also offer to crush them on site if you're particularly paranoid.

So while no actual work got done, last 2 days been pretty productive.

Technologist
    You forgot the most important picture, your workshop AFTER the cleanup ;-)

Is BB moving along? Get those wheels?

Another question, What is your setup with Alexa? You print via S3D control panel, with the USB connected? Do you know if that is slower than printing from the SDcard ( not counting the time to transfer the file to the SD card )/

Im still poking at the Raspberry Pi USB speed thing. It add a lot of time being connected via USB , or so it seems. I'll have to do a real speed test.

Also moving back to Crua 3.0 , or trying to. got bit last night on a 5 hours print with the S3d weird slicing issue I posted about in the other thread. I think I'll open a S3D forum thread on it. See what they say.

Depends. anything under about 20 minutes usually use usb cable. Otherwise sd card.
    loading to the sd card might take 3 seconds :-)

These days i usually leave the usb cable unconnected unless specifically printing something. reason being, even if it's printing from the sd card - if i start or shutdown the computer the printer reboots and stops printing. Bloody annoying, so 90% is from sd card with printer unconnected by usb.

No wheels. Hoping they'll arrive before the new motherboard and the mosfets.

On another note entirely. Got a roll of Vanish - soluble filament this week.
    So rather than expose the whole reel to the atmosphere, plus with all the stuff i got at tct. Needed some new spools for shorther lengths of filament.

0.4 layer height, 100mm/s :-)
    I'll upload the design to thingiverse in a bit - just want to check that 0.8mm is strong enough for the bottom rim, might have to up it to 1.2. You can't tell till you start to wrap the filament round it.

100mm central cylinder so you don't have to bend the filament too much when wrapping.
    Take an hour and a half to print and 30 gms of plastic.
    Should easy take 50 metres of filament. locking holes at top, and holes at bottom for loose end.
    Tempted to add holes in the top to cut down on plastic usage. N idea how well that would work, guess I'll have to suck it and see :-)

Using clear pla got from amazon £12 a kg delivered.
    Bloody good stuff !
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.

good luck with your new printer!

wheels have landed !
    also couple packets of smaller bolts.
    Wheels smaller than I was expecting, no biggee - they'll probably look neater anyway.

Thinking about screw in clamp for the belts, carriages will be 2 part anyway, so a simple bolt together clamp would make adjusting and thightening the belts a lot simpler, probably.

Not going to get much chance to start the latest round of part designs till next week anyway, working all weekend.
    But pretty sure I now have everything to finish the frame, belt and carriage setup.

Updated spool with holes in top part and thicker base with reinforcing around the connection points to the central cylinder.
    Down to 26 grams :-)
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2597201
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast