Close

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ir_fuel View Post
    How come there are a lot of posts no longer visible in this thread? When reading through it's like one big monologue because the posts of other users seem to have disappeared?
    A previous member stopped coming by and decided to erase / remove all his posts. It was not a monologue a few months ago. Oh well.
    Do you have any specific question that you need help on?

Technologist
    CA, did you camera ever show up? Hows your progress?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    been busy working this week.
    Currently working out how to reverse engineer a software installation for a client with a dying hardrive and no access to the original install media.
    Tricky doesn't come into it :-)

But progress wise, next job is to go back to the corner pieces and finish them off, then get the build plate cut, design mounts, put it together and work out how long the shafys need to be. It's probably around 400mm-ish.

And yeah #40fan going home and taking his posts with him, was both a weirdly extreme reaction to his so called 'privacy' and bloody annoying from a thread point of view. Why post something you know you'll only delete at a later date ?
    I have no clue.

I did look through it recently and fortunately I'm a little verbose (you hadn't noticed ?) so it still mostly makes sense :-)

Okay so here are the shaft ends. I'm using 8mm carbon fibre shafts. The internal diameter is 6mm but a bit haphazard, so i decide to make the shaft end a cap rather than an insert as the 8mm outer diameter is a lot more consistent.

Once I've got the shafts the right length I'll glue the magnets in the ends and the ends to the shafts.

On the software reverse engineering end - not a hope in hell. Even with tracking down ALL the files and registry entries, it still won't work.

So tonight I'm 'playing' with virtual machines in the hope I can run the original os setup on the new machine.

Give that the new machine runs amd and windows 7 and the original was intel and an early windows 10 - the odds are not great lol
    Currently using a paragon tool to convert the vhd image to run in oracles virtual box. On the positive side the paragon software didn't say it couldn't do it.
    Fingers crossed.

Well hot diggity damn !
    It freaking works !!!!
    Colour me happy lol

Even on my basic workshop machine with just 2 gb I can run a virtual windows 10 quite happily :-)
    The clients machine has 4gb and amuch batter processor (32 bit os) so should run this at least as quick as the original 8 year old machine.

The impossible I can do immediately, miracles take a little longer :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Technologist
    Nice Progress. Glad you found your camera.
    Cant wait to see how the magnet connectors work out; not to mention the completed BB. I find I am a little constrained by the 200 mm diameter, but could not have afforded anything larger at the time.

VirtualBox is amazing. I have many different linux images, but never got a windows 10 image that I could stand.
    What client are you using? (if win7, dont let it upgrade ;-))

Technologist
    So I am having problems with my part cooling fan, the 'vortex fan for cooling prints' according to http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/e...ng_diagram.jpg (which is the same as provided in the kit )

I first noticed that the fan always appears to be running, but could not tell how fast. So I did a little digging.
    I would issue an M106 S0 (turn off fan ) and the fan would spin to full speed. A small thread by the fan duct exit shows a lot of breeze.
    I would issue an M106 S255 (turn on fan full speed) and the fan would ramp down. It would not turn off completely. A small thread by the fan duct exit show a lot of breeze.
    I would issue a M106 I1 (fan disable) and the fan would ramp down. It would not turn off completely. A small thread by the fan duct exit show a lot of breeze. This works as it should (except the fan is not completely stopped )
    I would issue an M107 (turn off fan ) and the fan would spin to full speed. A small thread by the fan duct exit shows a lot of breeze.

So the issue is that the control of the fan seems to be inverse to the command issued. (except for the disable fan (I1) command)

Any thoughts?

it doesn't come with a part cooling fan.
    You have to add that yourself. the diagram just shows where you plug the fan in - once you get it.

did you wire it up in reverse, as you have to add your own extension cabling ?

bizarre thing with the virtual machine. The program starts up, shows you a list of cars manufacturers, lets you pick a car and engine type - so at that point it's clearly accessing it's database properly, then just won't let you progress from there.

I did clone the original - poorly - drive and make the image from the clone.
    So Going to try and image the original drive tonight. Also check it still works in the original machine.

Weird is what it is.

Technologist
    I added the part cooling fan and your fan duct work. I did reverse the wiring to try to figure this out, but the fan would not start at all, neither the S0 or S255 would start it. Tried another fan ( blower type this time ) and same behavior. A HE3D facebook member suggest just to reflash it. I am not convinced, but will give it a try.

EDIT:
    So I reflashed, and no difference. Will open a service ticket.
    Last edited by mjf55; 11-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    bizarre thing with the virtual machine. The program starts up, shows you a list of cars manufacturers, lets you pick a car and engine type - so at that point it's clearly accessing it's database properly, then just won't let you progress from there.

I did clone the original - poorly - drive and make the image from the clone.
    So Going to try and image the original drive tonight. Also check it still works in the original machine.

Weird is what it is.
    Could be a corrupt data base in the clone, what about memory, does it have enough?

don't think memory is the issue, everything is running on ssds so virtual memory almost as quick and plenty of that available.
    Plus the original machine only had 2gb.

Until I've reassembled the machine and checked it does still work - I'm not going to get any nearer I don't think.
    In two minds whether to run a chkdsk, it's got a couple hundred bad sectors and probably isn't long for this world, chkdsk could simply move too many bits of software.

I'll see how much memory it pulls on the original machine.

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast