Close

I need help converting an Invemtor .ipt file to .stl file for printing

Hello all:

New here and I have a question. My design engineer sent us a file saved as an Inventor .ipt file. He is now MIA.

I do have a copy of the Inventor software.

Is there someone here who can help us convert this file.

If we have to, I would be happy to send the file out and pay to get it done right as we have a client who needs his product delivered.

We do not 3D print in house, but rather use various companies to handle that for us.

Time is of the essence.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Nick

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you should be able to import the ipt file into your copy of inventor and then EXPORT it as an .stl file.

Export operations in programs are usually in the same menu as save and open.

try this: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inven...e/td-p/4767833
    and good luck :-)

We are trying that process and we get part of the way through it and the file quits. I am thinking that the old PC we are using does not have the required brainpower to make the conversion.

Watching the CPU fly up to 99.9% of capacity before it gives up.

Nick

If you send me the file, provided through dropbox, google drive or whatever, I can convert it to an STL for you.

Edit: Well, I check the thread again tomorrow when I get back to work but I'm leaving for the day now and can't really help you. You can try using OnShape.com to import and then export if you really need something before then.
    Last edited by LuckyImperial; 05-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi Nick,
    I have 8 processors at your disposal, you can send me the file and if needed I can prepare it all the way for the 3D printer.
    Send me the details and I can provide you a quote.
    Thanks,
    Ralph

Super Moderator
    Try reducing the mesh before exporting.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Yeah, in Inventor you can reduce the resolution when you click Options when exporting to STL. That controls the tessellation and often for 3D printed models low resolutions work well too, unless you have large curved surfaces. You may want to size up your virtual memory to prevent crashes.

And don't forget to specify the units, during the conversion, to millimeters! That is if the model was built using standard units

Thank you all for your help with this matter. I will soon be creating another thread where I will be looking for freelance talent to develop designs for our company. More info to follow soon. If you are interested in bidding on jobs or placing your name in consideration for one of our product design positions now send me a PM and you'll be at the top of the list.

Technician
    Add kennycoulter on Facebook Add kennycoulter on Google+
    SAVING THIS INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time that my company updates inventor, I forget what way to import the .stl to make it the correct size....