Close

Engineer-in-Training

Rafts and supprts

I have PowerSpec 3D Pro 2 printer, Micro-Swiss all-metal hotends, Printbite, E-Sun PETG filament, and Simplify 3D. If I'm printing something that doesn't have flat bottom, I have to use supports but supports may come loose and get ruined prints. I tried using rafts with supports but it's hard for me to remove rafts from prints. Is it possible to use PVA filament with PETG filament? If not, any suggestions?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Have to admit I haven't used a raft since I stopped using abs.
    If I've got a print with minimal contact on the printbed I will use a small single layer brim.
    This gives way better adhesion with minimal time and plastic and is very easy to remove. Most of the time it just peels off.

The other thing is with printbite - have the bed temp about 10c hotter than you would without it.
    Been doing some longish (for me anyway) prints recently - basically flat rectangulat base. First time I printed standing on end it failed.
    Added the brim and have done about 5 sets (2 prints per set) with the brim and zero issues since.

s3d settings are.
    Additions tab:
    tick use skirt/brim
    skirt layers: 1
    offestt from part: 0.00mm
    skirt outlines: 3

Like supports it doesn't show until you hit print preview.

Can't help with supports, just don't use them often enough.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    PETG is sticky stuff. It loves to stick to itself. So using supports printed in PETG on a PETG print means its going to stick to itself very well. I haven't found any way around it. Normally I use whatever my layer height is as the offset from part. They come off. Not easy but they do.

As for not sticking, CLEAN your print bed with acetone just prior to printing (while its hot). I have printed things similar to yours without a flat base. I have a paper towel that has remnants of ABS slurry on it. I wet it with acetone and wipe the hot bed with it. This applies a THIN layer of ABS on the PEI bed. PETG sticks to the ABS like glue. I have never had one pull lose using that method.