Close

Purge line trying to jam at beginning?

So when printing with abs the purge line at the very beginning will skip. I can hear what I assume is the extruder drive gear clicking and the purge line is dashed like is extrudes then jams then extrudes. It never did it at all before yesterday. Began with just a couple clicks but it seems to be adding a click each time I do a new print. I simply wanted to put out a feeler to see if anyone had any ideas about what this could be before it possibly ends in a monstrous jam or worse.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Sounds like you're trying to push material through too fast, or at too low a temperature. Or both.

I can see that being possible. Usually print at 50mm/sec at 230. But it only does it at the very beginning of the purge line and then goes fine from there. Would slow speed and low temps cause that? I haven't changed any settings and it just randomly started even though I made it through most of the spool with no issues.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    If all normal things (temperature, print speed, nozzle diameter, etc.) are the same, then something else has changed. I expect too much friction on the delivery.

This could be from gummed up hobs; a foreign object partially blocking the nozzle; the spool is catching on something; or the filament is making a much sharper corner than when the spool was full. Any of these could contribute to your symptoms.

Could there be a flaw on the temperature control? Could the head be reporting a higher temperature than it really is?

Those are all fantastic thoughts. Thank you very much. I will be taking my extruder apart to make sure everything is good. A quick question though. I have a creator pro clone as far as mechanics so it is 2 mk10s 34mm apart. The pla I've been printing with is kinda awful and needs to be printed hot at like 215. Could printing at that temp with that head while the abs is still loaded in the other cause some extra friction just at the beginning kinda like I saw?

I have nothing helpful to contribute on that question.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    when did you last calibrate the print bed ?

Particularly if you regularly print with abs it will go out of true quite quickly.

What it sounds like to me.