Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Creator Pro prints for 14 layers and layers after that are shifted.

Just got a FFCP in February. Have been trying other software and created the code for this part in MatterControl. I had to manually take care a few things like strip out the M190 command that MC puts in there, and M82 and M400 commands that Replicatorg complains about (I use Replicatorg to translate the .gcode from MC that I manually change into .x3g) It ends up with the same start code that Replicatorg puts in there since that's what gets the print going properly. Have already printed several parts successfully with MatterControl.

This is probably the 3rd or 4th print and the first one to have a real issue. Same material as the others. It prints fine for 14 layers, than the 15th layer shifts -22mm in Y. Then after that each layer shifts 3mm in X. There actually are inconsistent Y positions in these bad layers as well. There is also a very curious section where the beads (4 or 5 wide) overlap like twisting a ribbon. I can't find any extraneous commands in the gcode at the beginning of each layer. I don't know if the shift actually start during a layer though. I printed a test part that is thicker immediately after and it worked great, so it must be code. Any ideas of what to look for and where to look?

cover print.jpg

I can't get any more pictures uploaded. I'll try adding another message with more.

Super Moderator
    I would look into using GPX to convert. RepG is out dated and not supported anymore and there are some potential issues with it converting to X3G. Also Flashprint is what would be best short of buying Simplify 3D.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep flashprint is pretty good.

You could also use an older version of makerware desktop.

Simplify3d - is excellent and worth buying. But flashprint is pretty good, cura knock off I believe.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try flashprint. I considered Simplify3D; honestly the $150 is worth it to me as long as it works reliably. MatterControl is definitely nice too, but it has some limitations for us FlashForge users. I have also seen on other forums that SD cards could cause issues. I have been saving my .x3g files to my hard drive, then copying to an SD card and using that to print from. I have a feeling the .x3g files are not simply a binary version of the g-code text file. It sounds like it could be more like an executable code to run the machine. That makes sense since it seems like it would make the controller board cheaper. Don't need an g code interpreter. Maybe poor card reads can cause issues and the 14th layer on this part is the buffer size or something... I don't know.

Super Moderator
    The X3G is just a binary version of the gcode (text) file. Main thing I see with print problems relating to SD cards is the file was not completely finished copying to the card.

Thanks - I actually sent an email to FlashForge support with pictures. I tried this same part a second time, but completely sliced in Replicatorg. That one had terrible vibration and I stopped it before the layer that started shifting like the first print. I then went back to MC and had a similar results with shifting layers, but not successive X shifts this time, just a big Y shift and then minor X-Y shift from layer to layer. With MC, I went back and looked at the .gocde file before converting it to .x3g and saw absolutely no X or Y coordinates outside the bounds of where they should be, so it's not the code doing it, it's the machine somehow, unless the .x3g translation is doing it but I can't inspect that, at least not easily. I hate that.

I know about GPX and have downloaded it, just haven't tried it yet. Looks like I still have many things to try.

Super Moderator
    You need to run Repg 0040rxx-sailfish version on that but I wouldn't waste my time since RepG hasn't been updated since 2012 or so. Check this for reference.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32084/#files

Use Flashprint to get going with or get Simplify 3D.

I worked on mater control getting it running but didn't like it.

The X3G is the same as the gcode unless RepG is incorrect and breaking it. Again RepG is out dated.

I'm not reading enough encouraging stuff about FlashPrint poking around the internet. I think I might just bite the bullet and get Simplify3D. Damn. I think $150 is worth it for an almost $1000 printer; I just hope it also doesn't have issues. I think it absolutely sucks that this printer comes with old not-so-great software and nothing else seems to work with it (without spending lots of time anyway.)

Super Moderator
    That really makes no sense. You are having issues now but don't want to try a free slicer made for Flashforge that might work for you. S3D is good but it is still $150.

Seems to me you would want to try something up to date and see if the issue is resolved before shelling out big bucks.

Well, it does make sense with the information I've found so far. I haven't found anything yet that tells me it works well with the Creator Pro. The Dreamer and Finder, apparently it's supposed to. Hopefully the electronics and g/m codes are the same with the Creator Pro, but that's just another "hopefully", just like all the other software out there. My reasoning (agreed that it's not perfect, but nothing regarding finding software for this printer is) is that Simplify3D has far more positive reviews than any other software I've read about (again, in reference to the Creator Pro), and any company wanting to successfully sell software that it markets as compatible with or "works with" a particular printer is more likely to actually spend the effort doing so.

Flashprint is free, it's stupid not to try it. I agree, but I've already tried 3 or 4 and I'm sick of downloading and installing yet another "free" piece of software to find out it's still a pain trying to get the printer to print well. I'm not talking about simple adjustments either like speeds and retraction, I'm talking about sending out codes that the printer recognizes and NOT sending codes that cause the printer to not work properly and I have to manually remove those codes. Flashprint is available from FlashForge, but for the Dreamer. It is explicitly not listed under the Creator series. Doesn't mean it won't work, but again, I'm getting sick of trying free software that only makes it 70% of the way.

That's all the sense I've got.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast