Close

Angry Trouble slicing large stl file

Hello, I am new to 3d printing and I am having problems slicing my file. The progress bar gets filled up and then it says 0 min to print which is obviously incorrect. I assumed the polygon count was too high so I used decimate to lower it by about 30-40% which helped cura slice it but removed so much detail that it was not helpful. The file called "smallest4layer" is the original stl file that I am trying to stack on top of itself a few times to create a filter, but I am unable to slice even the 4 layer version. The file called "smallest4layerdecimate" is the same thing after using decimate which sliced and printed fine but was too far off from my original design. I am getting extremely frustrated with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advanceSmallest4layer.stlSmallest4layerdecimate.stl

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    going to need your printer settings.
    The individual parts are too small and while it slices in about 1 second in simplify3d. It's just blank as the cell walls are way way too small for my printer settings.
    Without knowing what ridiculously small settings you're usig I can't actually get a sliced model.

So if I've got this correct, you've got a 50x50x0.8mm geometry made up of lots of sections of 0.2-0.7mm.

I don't know which technology you are planning to use, but you are going to struggle with most of them at this scale, and if successful it will not be very accuratedetail-1.jpg

As CA said above, what settings are you trying to process this with? It might help us understand whether it's achievable.

Rich

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi Adam,

I am measuring your wall thicknesses at 0.02 mm. That is impossible to 3D print with current machines.
    If you are using an FDM machine, take your nozzle size+0.05 mm for the minimum wall thickness to ensure good slicing.
    Set the line thickness in your slicer also to somewhere around this value - sometimes setting it a bit lower makes for better prints.

Also use boolean-union functions to combine multiple meshes may make for better slicing. Send me a PM if you want me to help you further with preparing STL files.