Close

Thread: Printer Died

Printer Died

So I have a Monoprice Maker Select 3D. I started smelling something burning and then the display started flashing and now it won't turn on. I'm assuming it has something to do with controller. After pulling it apart I see that the power cables (specifically the ground) is chard inside the connector and no where else. All the other components are fine and the smell was definitely coming from there. Any ideas what the heck happened? I am going to test the output of the power supply to the board now.

IMG_1775.jpg
    Last edited by athlon2k2; 03-21-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typos

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Charged? Find?

Sound like you let out some magic blue smoke. Electronics run on magic blue smoke, if you let it out, the parts can no longer function properly. It's similar to the gerbil in your car.

Sorry I corrected my post. I do see that I have 12.28vdc coming from the PSU as expected.

Lol. Thanks for the explanation Marm. Fortunately I worked as a mechanic for a while and I worked on electronics in the military. So gerbils and smoke make sense.

This system seems pretty simple so I'm assuming the controller/printer board is what is bad. I'm just trying to figure out why just the ground was chard.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Charred. gotcha! (Don't worry, I had to think a minute about spelling that one too)

Ummm.. then check the board for burnt pieces. get your meter out and check voltages across the board. If it's still under warranty, give the manufacturer a call, this is something that should be covered. If not, see if you can find and replace any burnt out pieces. The manufacturer or other sources might have a schematic that lists what voltages you should expect to see where, that might help you find the dead part.

As for the cause, the connector might have been loose, causing an arc. I'd double check that and make sure you are getting the right voltage from the plug itself, just not the PSU. wipe the burnt connector down with Acetic acid (vinegar) to clean the contact. That might be the issue itself, no juice getting through.