Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse

Filament Suppliers NOT in California?

Anyone have some good filament suppliers that are not in California that are reliable and have a good variety of 3mm filament types (ABS, PETG, Flex, etc)?

I am looking for a replacement for MakerGeeks. They are having serious issues (growing pains I assume) and I can't rely on them to ship product anymore.

It takes forever to get anything from California to here or I would go with MatterHackers. They are a backup but I would like someone outside California do to shipping times.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    amazon has local distribution centres and many variaties of filament.

My main supplier is in england - definitely not california - but no real use to you :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    amazon has local distribution centres and many variaties of filament.

My main supplier is in england - definitely not california - but no real use to you :-)
    Sorry, I should have specified anything but Amazon. I don't do business with Amazon as a matter of principal and the reasons are not relevant to this forum.

Ironically, ordering from England just might be faster than ordering from California. I order periodically from tuBears (BioFila) and FormFutura and both usually go through London to New York. And most of the time I get them faster than I get orders from California. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Sorry, I should have specified anything but Amazon. I don't do business with Amazon as a matter of principal and the reasons are not relevant to this forum.

Ironically, ordering from England just might be faster than ordering from California. I order periodically from tuBears (BioFila) and FormFutura and both usually go through London to New York. And most of the time I get them faster than I get orders from California. Go figure.
    Considering your location, check out Coex3D out of Appleton, WI. They ship in stock orders same or next day, and offer same day local pickup if you are in that area of the state. www.coex3d.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sr22ger View Post
    Considering your location, check out Coex3D out of Appleton, WI. They ship in stock orders same or next day, and offer same day local pickup if you are in that area of the state. www.coex3d.com
    I had already seen them pop up Very limited selection of 1.75 (which I don't use). They are all but worthless for 3mm. They carry exactly 3 colors of ABS. Black, natural and white. PETG they have a huge selection of one. Clear.

How's it going?

If you're looking for 2.85mm, my company has 12 different colors currently. Feel free to give me a call and/or check out our website. Company headquarters is in California, but our filament is manufactured in Massachusetts. We deal with a lot of schools and libraries in Florida. We ship same day via UPS. Both our PLA and ABS scored as the top rated filament on recent testing by 3D Matter in NY. We use a PHA additive in our PLA (PLAyPHAb) which greatly increases the impact strength and pliability. Our ABS (Enviro) is the only biodegradable ABS in the world.

PLAyPHAb normally runs $39.99 per spool and Enviro runs $49.99, however my company offers them both with $4.00 discounts for 3D Printboard members.

Let me know if I can help.

Dan
    3D Printlife @ BSC Supply
    1-800-227-5829 x3054
    danb@bsc-supply.com
    www.3dprintlife.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BSCdan View Post
    How's it going?

If you're looking for 2.85mm, my company has 12 different colors currently. Feel free to give me a call and/or check out our website. Company headquarters is in California, but our filament is manufactured in Massachusetts. We deal with a lot of schools and libraries in Florida. We ship same day via UPS. Both our PLA and ABS scored as the top rated filament on recent testing by 3D Matter in NY. We use a PHA additive in our PLA (PLAyPHAb) which greatly increases the impact strength and pliability. Our ABS (Enviro) is the only biodegradable ABS in the world.

PLAyPHAb normally runs $39.99 per spool and Enviro runs $49.99, however my company offers them both with $4.00 discounts for 3D Printboard members.

Let me know if I can help.

Dan
    3D Printlife @ BSC Supply
    1-800-227-5829 x3054
    danb@bsc-supply.com
    www.3dprintlife.com
    First, let me say I was not and am not dissatisfied with MakerGeeks product. Their filament has proven to be reliable outdoors and they clearly state it does have UV inhibitors for that purpose. Its their service of late that I can't stomach anymore.

So, couple questions for you. Where do you SHIP from. Doesn't say anywhere.

And I have a concern that the ABS you sell will not stand up to outside environments if its designed to break down as your content seems to claim it is. Most manufacturers of ABS put in UV inhibitors and stabilizers to prevent premature breakdown from environmental exposure. And again, the same question of your PETG. It seems you are striving to make your filament (and thus the printed parts) less environmentally stable. This is, unfortunately, the polar opposite of my needs. I need parts that will maintain their integrity living 24/7 outside in the sun, heat and winter cold, hanging from eves or stuck in the ground.

Here are examples of what I do:

This requires, rather obviously I should think, custom manufactured parts. There are 3D printed parts all over that display, some of which remain outside from October through January. Parts to hold floods, parts to hang things from the eves. Parts to hold the tree strips to the frame. Parts to hold the arches. 3D printed stakes and clips and fixtures. Lots and lots of printed parts. And the last thing I need is for them to degrade in the outdoor environment because someone wants to make the filament more "environmentally friendly". To be frank, I want a filament that is "environmentally defensive" and thumbs its nose at the environment to retain its strength, quality and longevity.

We ship from Massachusetts. We have a medical grade extrusion facility where our filament is manufactured.

Enviro will absolutely stand up as well, if not better (as it has a higher impact resistance) than other ABS. By adding the bioadditive that makes it biodegradable, it simply means it will degrade in time in an active landfill compost. It will not degrade being outside or in the heat. PETG I can't speak of at this point. It is not on the market yet. Sorry, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what would make you believe we're trying to make our filament less environmentally stable. Again, Enviro will only degrade in an active landfill compost, and will not break down for 12.7 years for the smaller hollow parts that have been tested. This is in relation to 700-800 years for other ABS. Our PLAyPHAb is no different from any other PLA except for the fact that it's about 75% stronger due to the PHA additive. Also, because of the PHA, it has an increased UV stability.

As for our service, we ship the same day the order is placed. Any of our filaments are returnable for 60 days from date of purchase if their is any issue with them. If you want to try it out, great. If not, no hard feelings. :-) If you're looking for something that will be detrimental to the environment, I would suggest you don't use our filament. We use a biodegradable cardboard spool instead of plastic as it's better for the environment. We also donate money to the Nature Conservancy Fund for every spool we sell. If this goes against what you're looking for, we're definitely not the manufacturer for you.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    just out of curiosity - what have you got against ebay ?

B3D makes their filament in Florida but call it "handmade" I've never had the guts to try it.

Ebay is normally just reselling the Chinese stuff, that normally happens in California or sometimes in lower NY/upper NJ. I really don't have a problem with it because I don't have time sensitive projects, but I understand someone willing to pay more and be sensitive about quality when you get a project you NEED to complete ASAP, or need to print a decent number of successful parts in a row for a deadline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast