Close

Technician

Maker select v2, weird pattern in prints around round standoffs (Pic inside)

I'm not sure exactly what is causing this but I played w/ layer height and it didn't change the effect. It isn't a huge deal to me but I'm just curious if this is an indication of something I need to address? It has done it from day one If I recall at different temperatures. The pic is the orientation it was printed in. I did use supports for these not that that would effect this pattern. The spot is flat to the touch so it's merely cosmetic I think.
    Thanks much guys,
    Dave
    2017-03-13 16.38.07 - Copy.jpg

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    If it doesn't affect the function of the print, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you think about how the printer prints, the layers that have the standoffs take longer, as the head has to travel those paths also, with each travel path getting longer and short as the standoff path grows and shrinks.. The layers without the standoffs would take the same amount of time each pass. Those chevrons are just a residual effect of those travel times. See how the middle layers also have vertical stripes? Those are the same thing as the rounded stripes, just they aren't offset by the standoff size.

There may be someone who knows how to remove those, but I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a cosmetic blemish, and the print is solid. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a very slight oscillation in your extrusion amount/temp. hence the patterns. I don't think it's worth worrying about, but it might be fixable.

Technician
    Thanks. So those vertical lines are not normal? I thought those were normal but I'm new to 3D printing.

Dave

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    *shrug* Every printer has it's own personality, in subtle ways.

Technician
    LOL well I'll maybe look into bracing this thing, not that that'd cause this.

Dave