Close

1st month 3d printing amazing expirience

Hi,

Since March, 14th 2014 I have a Reprap 3d printer and I strongly recommend this technology.

My university project is the study of this technology for UAV apps, and... see next video:

It's incredible the easy, rapid and nice 3d printing process.

I encourage all of you to design and create!

The only handicap I have had is the printer size: 25x20x20 cm, but heat welding is perfect solver for my application.

MUAKS 3d printers

Banned
    Awesome Jon. How long did this project take you in total? Your printer has a nice build size, you are actually lucky. What filament did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    Awesome Jon. How long did this project take you in total? Your printer has a nice build size, you are actually lucky. What filament did you use?
    Dear Maggie,

The project started in March, 2014 looking for the best rapid manufacturing technolgy for CATUAV (catalan UAVs company) apps. 3D printing Reprap was the selection for speed, cost, quality, size.... but main reason: support.

Printing the total wing, left and right part, is 38 hours.

Filament: PLA 3mm.

Now I am designing the fuselage in a very interesting shape to get de 100% 3d printing technology possibilities. See it in my name facebook account: jonatan domenech arboleda

Thank you

About the size it is only 230x200x200, parts have been joined by heating.

Engineer-in-Training
    That wing looks very nice, what is the weight per dcm^2?

I've been working on a 3D printed airplane for a couple months, now it's ready to have the electronics installed and fly it.... once I can get some free time for that. :P

You can check the plane out here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:272478 It would be great to share some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    That wing looks very nice, what is the weight per dcm^2?

I've been working on a 3D printed airplane for a couple months, now it's ready to have the electronics installed and fly it.... once I can get some free time for that. :P

You can check the plane out here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:272478 It would be great to share some ideas.
    Wauuu nice question. Weight vs volume is an important factor for UAV materials and shapes. This wing is the third version because of the weight. I have a table with interesting values:WING TABLE.jpg

About your 3d printed plane, what are the main features? or some photo?

Thank you

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
    Wauuu nice question. Weight vs volume is an important factor for UAV materials and shapes. This wing is the third version because of the weight. I have a table with interesting values:WING TABLE.jpg

About your 3d printed plane, what are the main features? or some photo?

Thank you
    The image is too small to read any values, do you have a higher resolution one?

There's a thread about the plane here with description and a few photos of the airframe: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?2693-Fully-printed-UAV-FPV-plane

I was asking about the wings because that's the heaviest part of the plane in my design, they weight almost as much as the rest of the airframe combined... which is not so good.
    Going from memory the wings are around 190 grams in weight and the fuselage plus tail is 200 grams; that's for a 98cm wing with a chord of 15cm, that adds up to around 14 dm^2 so on average the wings weight 14 grams per square decimeter. That's with a 0.4mm thickness, I think at 0.3mm they would still be strong enough and of course save 25% weight.

Sorry about image size, it is ok in my cpu.
    1500mm wingspan and 200mm rootchord with a non linear taper. Total weight 301,8 g. In a volume of 3522,58 cm3. Weight/volume ratio is near 0,9

About thickness, I have used Reprap bcn 3d+ with a 400microns extrusor, 0,4mm.