Close

Extruder keeps skipping, Not enough torque/current?

Hello,

I decided to get a 3D printer finally to play around with. I bought a Prusa I3. Using 1.75mm filament, E3D Hotend, upgraded heater bed.

I am having issues getting my extruder working properly It keeps skipping. So this causes my prints to be very stringy. I guess it doesnt have enough
    torque to push the filament through. I did some reading and the larger stepper motor is suppose to be around .4-.6v. Ive tried between .4v to .7v I do believe but it
    is still skipping. At .7v the driver gets to be over 100*f. Is that good or bad?

Can someone give me some advice on what Im doing wrong here?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    we'll need some information.

What slicer, what filament, what printing/bed temps, how fast are you printing - the more information you give us the better.

Could just be as simple as printing too fast at too low a temperature. That's probably more likely than not enough torque.

And, yes, stepper motors do run kind of warm. 100f is NOT hot for a stepper motor.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Clean your head. Skipping in my experience means it's clogged. Remember, you're trying to melt the filament enough so that it flows nicely through the head, and then cools quick enough to hold shape. If you think "MOAR POWAR!" is the answer, step back and think about the problem. You are either clogged or not hot enough. At a high enough temp, the filament would flow through the head on it's own, without any pressure from the feeder. Even though that's a bad thing in a way, it should illustrate why you're approaching this issue the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    we'll need some information.

What slicer, what filament, what printing/bed temps, how fast are you printing - the more information you give us the better.

Could just be as simple as printing too fast at too low a temperature. That's probably more likely than not enough torque.

And, yes, stepper motors do run kind of warm. 100f is NOT hot for a stepper motor.
    When I said 100* I mean for the driver. The motor is cold to the touch. Doesn't get hot one bit.
    I am using the Slice3r, PLA 1.75 filament, Printing is between 200* and 220*, Bed temp is 55* The speed has been varied alot the past 2 days. Ill post
    a picture of my settings.

The motor driver has been adjusted from 1a to 2a and the extruder motor still skips
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Clean your head. Skipping in my experience means it's clogged. Remember, you're trying to melt the filament enough so that it flows nicely through the head, and then cools quick enough to hold shape. If you think "MOAR POWAR!" is the answer, step back and think about the problem. You are either clogged or not hot enough. At a high enough temp, the filament would flow through the head on it's own, without any pressure from the feeder. Even though that's a bad thing in a way, it should illustrate why you're approaching this issue the wrong way.
    I have checked the nozzle multiple times and it isnt clogging at all. Im really starting to think that I have a bad stepper motor because you can physically hear it skipping and not feeding the filament. I can push the filament through no problem Though! But that isnt going to work ha.