Close

Unistalling firmware?

This is kind of a cross post from the CTC forum.
    Hello all, new to this forum and new to 3D printing.
    Im having a problem with my printer, CTC Duplicator 4 Dual, that I got last week. On my first prints using Autodesk Fusion 360 and my projects downloaded onto a SD card, the printer worked great, although the prints were about 5% smaller than the actual drawing. The problem started when I downloaded the suggested firmware, RepG, Makerware, onto my printer. Im using Mac OS so I used ReplicatorG-0040.dmg to upload and after this firmware was installed, my printer froze, 2 horizontal bars and the buttons froze. Now when I turn on the machine the only thing that happens is the build table heats up, if RepG is open or not. Also, I thought that maybe I could print using this firmware, it looks like it going to print, then it fails.
    I was asking if anyone would know how to uninstall this firmware to get my printer back to the factory settings as it was before...Thanks

Super Moderator
    You are confusing two different things here. The firmware is the "software" that is on the motherboard that is in the printer. RepG and Makerware are slicers. RepG probably flashed the wrong firmware to the printer. Should not have let it update unless the manufacturer gave specific instructions to do so.
    You will need to google it but probably contact the manufacture. You don't just uninstall firmware. It will need to be re-flashed with the proper firmware and sometimes that can be a real pain.

Thanks wirlybird,
    I sometimes do get confused with this software/ hardware/ firmware talk.
    Anyhow, the printer comes with the download for the RepG, but only for PC. I found it for mac os...maybe that is my problem, this printer not compatible with mac?

Student
    26 Fleet Ln, South Brisbane QLD 4101, Australia
    Im not a computer geek and I am also confuse about firmware. Thanks for this tips whirlybird. I think I might now know what my computer always saying to me to update my firmware. Sorry not an expert like you. J

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I beg to differ! Firm ware can be uninstalled!

It just requires some percussive maintenance, usually involving a hammer.