Close

What causes (and fixes) this issue?

I'm using a Rostock V2 (upgraded to v3) and Simplify3D.
    This has been an issue since I started using the printer.
    SeeMeCNC has been useless in fixing it.
    Simplify3D has been even less so.

Hoping someone here has an idea.
    Attached is an image which should fairly clearly show what's going on.

EXCEPT:
    I cannot add the attachment, as it seems I don't have the proper access rights.

Awesome.

I hate forums.

Right.

Sloppy, but here it is.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4shy3bejm6...Drool.png?dl=0
    Last edited by slaintemaith; 02-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Images have to be reduced to something like 800x600 pixels in order to upload them to 3dprintboard.

Looks like you're trying to do print something with just one extrusion width for a wall and no infill. Is that correct? Yeah, that's always a challenge.

Exactly. Infill would be 'bad' as it's a model of an aircraft that's supposed to fly when you've assembled it.
    Still. What is this issue called? I'm not even sure what the term for it would be, and I'm thinking that it would help to know what to call it to look up solutions.

Also, as an attachment, 3dprintboard shouldn't care what the image size is, it should just take the file.
    That didn't happen either.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by slaintemaith View Post
    ...Also, as an attachment, 3dprintboard shouldn't care what the image size is, it should just take the file.
    That didn't happen either.
    I can't argue, but understand that many forums are stuck in legacy ways of doing things. Unlike social media sites, most forums won't accept large image files. That's just the way it is, and unfortunately, is arguably one of many reasons why forums across the board seem to be a dying breed. More and more people seem to be just joining facebook groups and the like where minimal constraints apply.

Quote Originally Posted by slaintemaith View Post
    Exactly. Infill would be 'bad' as it's a model of an aircraft that's supposed to fly when you've assembled it.
    Still. What is this issue called? I'm not even sure what the term for it would be, and I'm thinking that it would help to know what to call it to look up solutions.
    IDK, have you looked through the Simplify3D quality guide for help? You haven't clarified your level of experience with 3d printing, but IMO what you're asking for is unrealistic, and you won't find solutions for it. Others are more than welcome to argue my view.

Understand that from your image, it's hard to grasp an overall understanding on what you're trying to print. How was the print oriented for printing? Is the first layer facing us in your photo or is it to the rear? Regardless, two key rules to FDM printing I learned long ago: 1) You *cannot* extrude above free space. Once you exceed more than about a 30 or 45 degree incline, you must have some support of supporting structure underneath anything you're trying to extrude. Anytime the extruder is not squishing filament onto a layer below, the print is likely to fail. If the object design doesn't provide that support underneath, you add support structure in the slicer and remove it after printing. 2) Thin walls with inside curves can be a problem, since the action of the nozzle will tend to pull the filament into the curve, which is exactly what I'm seeing in your image. Designs with multiple perimeters and an infill structure have a chance at success since new extrusion might have a shot at sticking to the adjacent pass.

I remember trying to print a thin walled funnel - something that I thought would be easy to do. Unfortunately, for what I was trying to print that day I found no combination of funnel design and print settings that prevented the inner perimeter extrusion from being pulled into the unsupported free space inside the inverted funnel.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    You haven't clarified your level of experience with 3d printing, but IMO what you're asking for is unrealistic, and you won't find solutions for it.

Typically my level of 3D Printing experience is "Annoyed," but believe it or not, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out--this was the only imperfection I could find, and if you're saying it's pushing the inside of the envelope with regards to current printing capabilities, then... cool.

The actual object is a part of this guy here...
    http://https://3dlabprint.com/shop/l...-38-lightning/