Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I feel like the Formlabs Form 2 might be your best option for both print quality and material. They have a castable resin which I think would achieve what you are after as long as you are talking very low production volume or unique pieces. If you want to do any sort of mass production, you should really look into having proper molds made. I don't know much about that however.

Formlabs castable resin: https://formlabs.com/materials/castable/

On a somewhat related note, they also have an engineering grade resin labeled 'high temp' which they claim as the highest temperature 3d printed material, but that only is rated for 289*c, or about 1/3rd of what you need.
    They do show it being used to test the end of a propane torch, and in what I assume is a mold for injection molded plastics.

M_injection-mold.jpgM_fire.jpg

Hi FactorFVP

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphzoontjens View Post
    Hi,

.... Look at Shapeways ...

Post pictures and keep the thread alive!
    Wow! a real eye-opener for me. Thanks a lot.

Thanks to all of you for your welcome and help

Wow! What I don't know ...

I need to learn a lot more, but your replies have shown me that 3D printing will take my business and my creativity where it needs to go. I will be reading threads throughout the forum, posting questions in the appropriate places and, hopefully, giving useful comments where I can.

Is there a sub-forum specifically for STL design software for jewelry casting? Because of your feedback, I think that is my logical starting point since you have shown me options for printing and fabrication while I get the designing skill under my belt.

Again... thank you!

Last edited by artbyamm; 02-07-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Clarification

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Just some food for thought, off the top of the Make home page: http://makezine.com/2012/04/05/how-t...-refractories/

I've heard Rhino (???) mentioned before for jewelry making, but I am unfamiliar with it, or other options. I'm a one trick pony when it comes to design work, and Sketch up could work for you, but I doubt it.

There's a 3d design sub forum here somewhere, that'd be the best place for this. IM we have way too many sub forums, and cause of that, stuff gets tossed every which way.

One thing about shapeways. If you're going to be printing the molds them selves, then using a 3rd party printing service may be your best bet. But if you're going to be printing a prototype, and then casting a mold around that, you might be ahead financially to buy a small printer ( I can't see you needing 8" bed sizes) yourself. The cost of a half dozen Shapeways prints might add up to the cost of a small printer.

And the great help just keeps on coming - thks

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    Just some food for thought, off the top of the Make home page: http://makezine.com/2012/04/05/how-t...-refractories/

I've heard Rhino (???) mentioned before for jewelry making, ... you might be ahead financially to buy a small printer ( I can't see you needing 8" bed sizes) yourself. The cost of a half dozen Shapeways prints might add up to the cost of a small printer.
    Make, what a wonderful resource. I've already bookmarked it for frequent visits. A castable refractory is an interesting option. I checked out Rhino and downloaded the trial version to explore.

I agree that until I get my 3D act together, a small printer makes sense. The FlashForge line appeals to me from reviews, demos, and marketing videos; plus this forum's banner about the FlashForge Dreamer has me leaning that way. That decision is based more on gut than knowledge.

Should anyone have suggestions on better suited printers in the $500-650 range, I'd appreciate input. This printer purchase would let me learn, experiment, and gain experience until I can make informed business purchases.

Last edited by artbyamm; 02-08-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammar

Staff Engineer
    I'd agree with the people advising a resin printer over one that uses filament, if you're going the lost-resin casting route with a resin that burns out cleanly, or wax output from a Solidscape printer. The detail you'll get is a lot better than any filament based printer will produce. But they tend to be in a higher price range than you want to enter. You might use a service like Shapeways or 3D Hubs to produce some models to experiment with before investing in a printer; see how you like the results from models made with a printer like the FlashForge versus a resin or wax printer. Have you actually tried this microwave casting technique yourself, with a conventionally made wax model? I'd advise getting that down before getting involved with variations on the process involving 3D printed models. When experimenting, it's best to work on one variable at a time.

Glass casting is often done in a plaster-based investment. It's not pure plaster of Paris; it has to have some silica flour added to make it work. You can get these off the shelf, from jewelry supply companies; if I'm burning out resin models, I use Plasticast: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Ra...-50-lbs/702349 I suppose you could use a castable refractory, but getting a good surface might be difficult, and these things are made to endure, not to be removed easily from a glass part. The ceramic fiber mold compounds work quite well for glass, but they're more tedious to make molds with.

Making the mold directly has some things to be said for it, but you'd have to use some kind of clay extruder to produce them with a 3D printer, and the layer lines will likely be quite visible, while the clay would be difficult to remove after casting. There are no filaments that would give you a mold you could cast glass into; even the most high-temperature plastics like PEEK would be ash well before getting to glass-melting temperatures.

There are lots of software products used for jewelry production; the choice would depend on what sort of parts you were trying to make, and how much you had to spend. You can check my site for some of them; Geomagic Sculpt is my favorite for organic sorts of things.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    For a printer also look into the WANHAO DUPLICATOR I3

they have a US distributor and I have only heard good stories about this printer.

-Ralph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12