Close

E3D best way to change filament?

I have PLA dialed in, ABS kinda dialed in but really need an enclosure to get better adhesion. Just received some PETG to try and realized I am not sure on what is the recommended way to change filaments. I don't want to have to tear this hot end down to fix a clog.

I have heated up the hot end disengaged the bearing and just yanked it out. Should I push some through first? Retract a little first? Does it even matter?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhlewis10 View Post
    ...I have heated up the hot end disengaged the bearing and just yanked it out...
    This is all I've ever done and I've never had a problem. That being said, I have no idea if that is the proper way or if it matters how it is done as long as the nozzle is up to temperature first.

Thanks will continue as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhlewis10 View Post
    I have PLA dialed in, ABS kinda dialed in but really need an enclosure to get better adhesion. Just received some PETG to try and realized I am not sure on what is the recommended way to change filaments. I don't want to have to tear this hot end down to fix a clog.
    There are a lot of variables. But I've never had an 'Enclosure' and I get perfect adhesion across 100% of my 400mm x 400mm bed every time. Try bringing up the UBL code at:

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl

Ok, well I am in sales not engineering, so I am handicapped. I read that, and need to study more. My only firmware experience is the first load up.

Thanks.

As an FYI: When I change filament... I extrude (slowly) until the filament comes out at a uniform rate and appearance. It depends on your printer. But most printers once the filament fills the internal cavity, it will purge the air very quickly. It will go from not extruding consistently to being ready to go in a very short amount of time. Like 2 or 3 seconds of extruding.