Close

Trouble getting certain 3D model to print.

Hello! I am new to 3D printing, and one of the first things I have designed is a Discraft Logo Keychain. I am able to print other items on my printer without issue including another keychain I designed. With the Discraft Logo keychain though it prints about half of the first layer fine and then starts really messing up. I have looked at the model and can't see any issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will not let me upload the STL so I am posting a link to the Thingiverse page with the files.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2062903

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    A couple of things...

FWIW, importing the STL into openSCAD for a look comes up with the following error: ERROR: CGAL error in CGAL_Nef_polyhedron3(): CGAL ERROR: assertion violation! Expr: e->incident_sface() != SFace_const_handle() File: /data/OpenSCAD/libraries-mingw64-master/mxe-w64/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32.static/include/CGAL/Nef_S2/SM_const_decorator.h Line: 326 EDIT: Can't tell you if that's a problem in the STL or with my openSCAD though.

Checking the STL in Simplify3d indicates the file isn't manifold, meaning it may need to be corrected in something like netfabb first. I haven't used Sketchup, but I've heard people say that's pretty much necessary on everything generated with it.

Perhaps most importantly, generating gcode in Simplify3d and looking through the toolpath layer by layer suggests the object isn't laying flat on the print surface. The end with the hole is raised up quite a bit. Without a lot of support structure added in slicing, the design likely isn't printable as is. Too much unsupported overhang.

BTW - is the keychain disk supposed to be 140mm x 84mm? That's how it shows up in Simplify3d.

Last edited by printbus; 01-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.

I appreciate the detailed response and help. I didn't realize it wasn't laying flat. That would explain a lot. I will have to find some way to solve that. I will look into running it through netfabb also as I wasn't aware of anything that corrects issues with the model.

Thanks again and I will post back with results.

Also no it's not supposed to be that size, I was scaling it to proper size.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I've only used netfabb a couple times with SU models, and those were under special circumstances. 99% of SU models should already be ready to print with the solid inspector plugin. This plugin tells you if your model is manifold or not, and highlights errors. This should allow you to skip any 3rd party software for model repair.

And it may be the TV viewer, but it appears your model is still not laying flat.

Engineer-in-Training
    You will have to scale it but it has a flat bottom now so it should print.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    I've only used netfabb a couple times with SU models, and those were under special circumstances. 99% of SU models should already be ready to print with the solid inspector plugin. This plugin tells you if your model is manifold or not, and highlights errors. This should allow you to skip any 3rd party software for model repair.

And it may be the TV viewer, but it appears your model is still not laying flat.
    I will look into the Solid Inspector plugin. Thanks! I have fixed the model and everything appears to be right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    You will have to scale it but it has a flat bottom now so it should print.
    Thanks Todd. I will take a look at the file, but I think I have mine corrected properly now and laying flat.