Close

Engineer

Amazing 3D CNC Milled Ice Cubes

Although a CNC router is not exactly 3D printing, it uses the same basic technology so I figured I would make a post here. A Japanese company called TBWA\Hakuhodo, has used a CNC machine to mill ice into extremely detailed figures which can then be used as ice cubes. The cubes were milled in a freezer and the router was kept at a temperature of 19 degrees F, so that they coud keep the ice from melting.

The team used a software called Autodesk 123D to feed 3d models into the CNC router. Each one of these ice cubes took between one and six hours to create, so if you are considering actually buying these or using these they will likely cost you a pretty penny. Check out the video of the company milling a piece of ice into a small version of the Kinkaku-ji Buddhist Temple, followed by some awesome images of additional carvings:

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    This is fascinating! I've never seen details like this in an ice cube. Kinda makes me want a Scotch

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    This is fascinating! I've never seen details like this in an ice cube. Kinda makes me want a Scotch
    Wow..

Yeah as soon as I saw that Guitar icecube, I almost went for the Makers Mark...

Wow, very very nice! I would love to be able to serve my guests these

Staff Engineer
    Seems like a rather slow process - you could get pretty thirsty waiting for your cubes to be done. What would make more sense is to carve masters and mold them, then cast the ice.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com