Close

New to 3D printing and generating toolpaths for a fixed structural design

I am a project student utilising a FDM printer that requires to generate a toolpath to print a structure made of a certain structural design that has to control the filament flow when moving to the next point of a printing.
    I have an issue in programming a toolpath that requires:

1. Uniform micro-structure
    2. Irregular shaped objects will give "stray" filament linings within the object

I have tried using most softwares with built in toolpaths which do not take into consideration of the resin spills when moving from one point to the other.

I'm wondering if there's any information online or any reference I can do some readings on!
    Thank you for your help!

Jiong
    Last edited by Jiongz; 04-06-2017 at 03:45 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    are you using some kind of paste extruder ?
    You say resin not filament.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    are you using some kind of paste extruder ?
    You say resin not filament.
    My primary concern is the toolpath algorithm that softwares uses, I was just describing the melted filament that hasn't been cooled down, thus by letting the melted filament hang loosely on the nozzle head of the 3D printer. It will create an unneccessary "line" within the structure, which my project cannot allow.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    With our Repeterl software, you can import a one-layer DXF, convert it to gcode, and extrude it up to many (identical) layers.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    You control the 'oozing' with intelligent tool paths (see simplify3d) and appropriate retraction settings. There also exist extruders that can actually block the nozzle during travels (I think) I know most of the multi filament to one nozzle setups should be capable of this.

It is also highly dependant on the filament in use. I don't get stringing with pla, but can get it with some other filaments.

Exclamation Update from my previous post

I'm actually working on developing Slic3r infill layers. Specifically from the source code (/Slic3r/xs/src/libslic3r) where the program alternates the infill every 2 layers.

1. Program has to repeatedly print 3 different infill layers until it reaches the last layer (instead of printing alternating angle layers)
    2. Each layer consist of 3 different specific angles
    3. Each angle is fixed - can be hard coded. (Does not need user input)

The end product will look like the image I have attached, with each color as a different layer.
    Alternatelayerpic.jpg
    Does anyone know how to do this?

I will greatly appreciate your help!

Nice discussion going on. Yes, I understand your problem. I am also new to this field. Thanks all for discussing here. It really benefits those who are new to this industry. Continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiongz View Post
    I'm actually working on developing Slic3r infill layers. Specifically from the source code (/Slic3r/xs/src/libslic3r) where the program alternates the infill every 2 layers.

1. Program has to repeatedly print 3 different infill layers until it reaches the last layer (instead of printing alternating angle layers)
    2. Each layer consist of 3 different specific angles
    3. Each angle is fixed - can be hard coded. (Does not need user input)

The end product will look like the image I have attached, with each color as a different layer.
    Alternatelayerpic.jpg
    Does anyone know how to do this?

I will greatly appreciate your help!
    I figured out to change the bridge angle to the angles that I want at any angle. By changing the code from within the filepath: (/Slic3r/xs/src/libslic3r/Fill/Fill.h) you can alternate it. I went through many layers of frustration to debug and find through the haystack to understand how the direction and layers work.

Jiong