Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another total Newbie

Hi there!

As the title says, I have 0 expirience with 3D Printers, but I have decided to make it my new hobby.

The hardest part for a totally new guy like me, is choosing a printer.
    I pretty much hate going low budget, since you mostly get what you pay for.

I have read some tutorials (or seen videos), but most of them dont really give much information about which printer to choose.

[Edit] I only know that some features are better to have, like a heated bed, open filament system etc [/edit]

One of the most known ones are the ultimaker series.

I decided to save up for a ultimaker 2+

Is that overkill, or a good choice?
    Should take me another month or two and I have saved up the money for it (2,400€ here in germany unfortunaly).

Is there any other printer you would recommend?

Where are good sources for how to get into 3D printing?

Sorry for that many questions!

Engineer-in-Training
    You need to tell us what you plan on using it for.

Ah right.

Simply said, pretty much everything.
    From gadgets for daily use up to precise parts for my motorcycle.

Basicly, I want a printer which is able to print up to a pretty detailed level, like parts which can interlock with each other etc.
    It doesnt have to be that accurate that I could actually engineer crazy stuff with it, like professional model builders, but for examle: I want to be able to print boxes where the lid fits perfectly etc.

Engineer-in-Training
    The Ultimaker 2+ is a good machine with a good support base if you can swing the price tag than go for it. They do have a kit to convert it into a nearly enclosed machine for materials like ABS. Certain people may tell you it's over priced but take it with a grain of salt.

Wait what? I thought the Ultimaker is already a closed system to hold ambient printing temperatures, am I wrong?
    That baffles me tbh.

If Im gonna print, I want to print mostly ABS (at least for structures which need strenght).
    Do I really have to purchase even something on top of the ultimaker to get the best results?

The flash forge doesnt even sound half bad, even better that it has dual extrusion.
    The build plate doesnt sound that much smaller then the ultimaker 2+.

I have to find a good side to side video of the flash forge vs the ultimaker.
    Im aware that its not a fair comparison, since the ultimaker costs more then double, but I cant get a feel for the differences in the building volume.
    Otherwise I would be hands down for the flash forge, sounds neat.

Engineer-in-Training
    Keep in mind that since you are using ABS super glue is your friend. I did that prototype on the right for my boss over last weekend. I glued the two parts together. As far as print quality goes you are not giving up much. The Qidi tech is an even cheaper option than the flash forgee. I ust like the support and parts from FF. Also there are tons of aftermarket parts for these things. Micro swiss makes an all metal hot end that will allow printing at temps up to 300C for materials like nylon or PC.

woman.jpgdragon.jpgskull.jpgpayment-system.JPG
    Last edited by Todd-67; 01-12-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Cant you aceton weld ABS together?

Engineer-in-Training
    you can it's can get a little messy. Super glue melts the ABS much like acetone. It's just faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast