Close

12" Pegasus + print area cooling fan with Titan extruder?

I only got my printer in early December... I have been watching videos, reading posts and just absorbing info for the most part as I meander through the learning process. I have seen many videos where people have a fan (or 2) mounted to their extruder (or it it X- Carriage) blowing just below the nozzle (presumably on the work). I have Titan Extruder and currently only print with PLA and PETG (just got some samples of ninja flex and want to get into more flexible stuff in the future). The question is:

1) what is the specific application for this?

2) Does it apply to what I currently do or intend to do with the info I mentioned above?

3) If it does / or I could benefit from it what do i need to accomplish it with my current setup (ie. does the existing circuit board support it, can I simply print out a part and mount it to my extruder assembly, etc)

Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pochrist View Post
    I only got my printer in early December... I have been watching videos, reading posts and just absorbing info for the most part as I meander through the learning process. I have seen many videos where people have a fan (or 2) mounted to their extruder (or it it X- Carriage) blowing just below the nozzle (presumably on the work). I have Titan Extruder and currently only print with PLA and PETG (just got some samples of ninja flex and want to get into more flexible stuff in the future). The question is:

1) what is the specific application for this?

2) Does it apply to what I currently do or intend to do with the info I mentioned above?

3) If it does / or I could benefit from it what do i need to accomplish it with my current setup (ie. does the existing circuit board support it, can I simply print out a part and mount it to my extruder assembly, etc)

Thanks
    A part cooling fan is beneficial for the majority of materials that you can print. Essentially what it is doing is cooling the filament as its being extruder making it stiffer. This helps while you print overhangs and if you are printing bridges. Overall it makes your prints cleaner and better looking.

The biggest downfall to Makerfarm printers are the lack of a part cooling fan. I would certainly design and print one for your setup. You could also search on Thingiverse to see if you can find anything you can use.

I have a Pegasus 12" with a Titan Extruder and a part cooling fan.

Do you have your fan wired to the control board or are you just controlling it manually? I know S3D has options for controlling the fan speed via the gcode.

Engineer-in-Training
    Do you have your fan wired to the control board or are you just controlling it manually? I know S3D has options for controlling the fan speed via the gcode.
    I have the part cooling fan controlled by the RAMPS board. It turns on and changing speed depending on what it is printing, such as bridges, overhangs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I have the part cooling fan controlled by the RAMPS board. It turns on and changing speed depending on what it is printing, such as bridges, overhangs, etc.
    Is there any documentation anywhere that can point me as to where I would connect the fan to Ramps board, does it use a 3 or 4 pin connector, etc. Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    Is there any documentation anywhere that can point me as to where I would connect the fan to Ramps board, does it use a 3 or 4 pin connector, etc. Thanks
    I found the information through a Google search but there is no documentation. What you need is a 12V fan and connect it to D9 on Ramps.

Thanks that will make it easy, I'll look on thiniverse or somewhere to see if somebody has a mount, if not I'll just whip up my own.