Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

FolgerTech 2020 Prusa i3 - New Build

I recently purchased a FolgerTech 2020 Prusa i3 kit from EBay for $279. I purchased the full aluminum rails and the display option bringing the total cost to just over $300. Overall I am happy with the kit. It was a little confusing finding the correct instructions on the FolgerTech site - there are two sets of instructions and it was difficult to locate the new set for the aluminum rail model. But it went together well and is performing well.

I am not happy with the linear bearings. They sent 12 bearings so there were 2 extra. I found 7 smooth bearings in the bunch. They really are crap. The Y axis is fairly smooth but the X axis is noisy as can be and vibrates when it gets moving quickly. Yesterday I ordered 6 all plastic linear bearings from iGus. The bearings are reasonably priced but the $11.50 minimum shipping price was annoying. I'll post an update when I get them installed.

My first ABS model was terrible. I can't blame the device. I switched to PLA and spent time dialing in the system. I created a 15x15x15mm cube model with 1mm walls (no top) to experiment with the settings. With the settings dialed in I have been creating some fine PLA prints. I think that once I get the X Axis moving smoothly, it will improve the accuracy even more. This weekend I will switch back to ABS and see what I can do. I also have a roll of PETG natural-translucent coming in this week to try.

I have one ongoing issue. I can work around it but it is annoying. The X Axis of the prints is inverted. All of the prints come out inverted (like a mirror image) just along the X Axis. In the Marlin_Ramps program I found a configuration.h setting of INVERT_X_DIR and it is set to false. I tried setting it to true and then it was looking for the endstop in the wrong location. Any suggestions?

There's no way you can switch the X axis end stop across to the other end?

Student
    Yes, that worked. I was hoping to find a software/configuration solution but I finally had to set INVERT_X_DIR to true and move the X Axis Home switch to the left hand side. I just printed a small series of arrows and they came out correctly. Now to wrangle the wiring into a new configuration and replace about 10 tie-wraps.

Student
    These are suggestions I sent to Folger Tech to update their instruction manual so you will have the X axis move properly and not be inverted. It should get you going.

"Unlike all the other repraps, FT put the X homing switch on the right side, which is XMAX and not XMIN. The first thing that must be changed is to plug the X end stop into the Ramps board NEXT to the Y end stop plug and NOT skip a space. The pins to the right of the Y end stop pins is for XMAX. The one you show in your manual is for XMIN. That is at STEP 23, picture 10. “Again you are going to skip a row” is incorrect. It needs to go to the immediate right of the Y end stop plug.

Then in configuration.h in Arduino make sure that
    #define INVERT_X_DIR true is CHANGED to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
    AND
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1 is CHANGED to #define X_HOME_DIR 1

Keep the plug for the X axis servo motor wires reversed as shown in the picture. Without an explanation, many people think that you made a mistake in the picture. Make note of the fact that the orientation of the colored wires is correct.

Finally, in Repetier, tell the user to go to printer settings/printer shape and change ‘home X’ from MIN to MAX.''

Student
    Yes, physically reversing the wiring to the X stepper would do it as well. There were enough little inconsistencies in the pictures (or at least comparing the pictures to the text) that I decided to connect the plugs all in the same direction.

Overall I am happy with the product. It is a good value for the $$.

Student

iGus Plastic Bearings are worth the price

I just replaced the mechanical, linear bearings on the X Axis carriage with all plastic iGus bearings. They are very smooth and very quiet. At about $5 a piece, they are reasonably priced. I still choke at $12.00 P&H to ship about 3 oz of bearings. I think they are more focused on wholesale level orders and have the minimum shipping price to encourage people to make larger orders. If you have a friend with a printer that uses linear bearings, you could go together and order several to reduce the cost hit of the shipping.

I cleaned the rods very carefully with first acetone, then alcohol, then let it dry thoroughly. You have to eliminate all lubricants from the rods before running with iGus plastic bearings. According to the iGus web site, the bearing will slowly deposit a thin film of its own lubricant on the metal surface. It is now much more quiet and I can run it unattended without my wife complaining of the noise.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by dlatch View Post
    Yes, physically reversing the wiring to the X stepper would do it as well. There were enough little inconsistencies in the pictures (or at least comparing the pictures to the text) that I decided to connect the plugs all in the same direction.

Overall I am happy with the product. It is a good value for the $$.
    It takes more than just reversing the wiring. Read ALL the steps I wrote. An important one is the fact that you have to plug the X end stop into a different position than is shown on the instructions. Also in Repetier, you have to select differently. It takes 5 minutes but you have to do ALL of those things.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tjnamtiw View Post
    These are suggestions I sent to Folger Tech to update their instruction manual so you will have the X axis move properly and not be inverted. It should get you going.

"Unlike all the other repraps, FT put the X homing switch on the right side, which is XMAX and not XMIN. The first thing that must be changed is to plug the X end stop into the Ramps board NEXT to the Y end stop plug and NOT skip a space. The pins to the right of the Y end stop pins is for XMAX. The one you show in your manual is for XMIN. That is at STEP 23, picture 10. “Again you are going to skip a row” is incorrect. It needs to go to the immediate right of the Y end stop plug.

Then in configuration.h in Arduino make sure that
    #define INVERT_X_DIR true is CHANGED to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
    AND
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1 is CHANGED to #define X_HOME_DIR 1

Keep the plug for the X axis servo motor wires reversed as shown in the picture. Without an explanation, many people think that you made a mistake in the picture. Make note of the fact that the orientation of the colored wires is correct.

Finally, in Repetier, tell the user to go to printer settings/printer shape and change ‘home X’ from MIN to MAX.''
    Thanks very much, tjnamtiw! Your suggestions helped me get the FT 2020 Prusa working correctly.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Thanks very much, tjnamtiw! Your suggestions helped me get the FT 2020 Prusa working correctly.
    I'm glad it helped you. I am amazed that FT doesn't update their build file knowing that the machine won't work with their directions.

Hi tjnamtiw, I have the same issue, however after following your directions I'm still having issues. It seems to want to home to the left side and not my bed is not centered?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast