Close

Hair Spray: How many uses per application?

Hello!

I've been using Elmer's glue stick and having adhesion problems with ABS. I'm new to this and I've had some other issues that I'm working through but I thought I'd try hair spray instead of the glue, which I scrape & clean after each print. Can you get more than one print when using hair spray on the bed without the second, third or other prints coming loose? Do you need to re-apply the hair spray between prints? If you use Kapton or PET tape do you re-apply or clean the bed and re-apply between prints?

I appreciate your help with this.

Technologist
    I re-apply it after a print or two. Depends on where on the bed the previous print was. I use multiple glass plates so it's not a big deal to reapply it. I have used Kapton tape wiped down with acetone before each build and that is a pretty low maintenance option that lets you get a lot of prints off of it before replacing it. ABS sticks well to it.

Super Moderator
    I have used hairspray from the start but recently went to trying glue and it worked just as good for me and a bit easier. I have recently added a PEI sheet to one glass plate and so far it is working well.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Every third or fourth print.

Engineer-in-Training ralphzoontjens's Avatar
    Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    There are sprayable applications for this as well such as Printafix - much better and safer. I reapply every 2 to 5 times depending on the type of print.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphzoontjens View Post
    There are sprayable applications for this as well such as Printafix - much better and safer. I reapply every 2 to 5 times depending on the type of print.
    There are spray type hairspray types that don't use propane as a propellent. That is what i use. Never tried the auquanet stuff but agreed i wouldn't want to spray too much of the propane in close quarters.