Close



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46

    UP Mini extruder gear cooling mod

    I have been experimenting with the cooling of the stepper and extruder gear. With this new design I have reduced the stepper temperature significantly. Here are a series of pictures showing how I did it. The stl files will be on my thingiverse page shortly.
    assembly2[1].JPGDSC02434.jpgDSC02435.JPGDSC02436.JPG

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    It is a redesign of the mag mount, wind barrier, and stepper mount. It exposes the stepper motor so there is more surface area exposed for radiant cooling. It also adds a vent for the extruder gear for better cooling. Cooling of the gear will hopefully prevent jams due to the gear melting the filament. The wind barrier changes include redirection of the hot air and better sealing around it for better fan efficiency. The wind barrier is an older design of mine and works quite well.

  5. #5
    Very nice. Be sure to post the Thingiverse link when they are uploaded.

  6. #6
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnItDownBaby View Post
    Very nice. Be sure to post the Thingiverse link when they are uploaded.
    done!!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:300335

  7. #7
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    Since the modifications I have printed a number of models and all seems to be better. My stepper is slightly cooler. I tried to print the print board sized model and got 2/3 of the way complete (6hrs of print time) before the filament jammed. Before I could only get it to print this model for about 3 hrs before jamming.

  8. #8
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    I waited to post this one. I have been printing almost non stop for 24 hrs. and not one jam. I removed the small brass filament guide tube from the heating element and opened up the entrance with a small centering drill. If you don't know what a centering drill is, it is a tapered drill bit for use on a lathe to drill a tapered hole in the end of a shaft for the lathe centering support mechanism. The entrance of the brass guide is the point where the filament jams every time on my machine. With the centering drill I basically increased the chamfer diameter and depth of the original chamfer. The combination of the plastic mods and increased chamfer has , for now, solved the problem of filament jamming.
    Last edited by Jeeplvr; 04-19-2014 at 01:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    Here are some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeeplvr; 04-19-2014 at 01:55 AM.

  10. #10
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    46
    more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •