Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Looking for new 3D printer

I have a Powerspec Ultra 3D printer that broke down. After trying to fix my printer, I found out that I need a Flashforge DriveBoard REV F board but finding that board is like finding needle in haystack. I would like to buy a new 3D printer with large build volume but finding a good printer is like finding needle in haystack. I'm not sure if Folger Tech FT-5 at https://folgertech.com/products/folg...3d-printer-kit is good printer. Another 3D printer is MakerFarm 12" Basic Pegasus at http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3...gasus-kit.html but it uses glass for build platform and it doesn't include a PSU. Any suggestions?

My story at http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...904#post103904

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what's your budget ?
    By which I mean what's the top end of your budget :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Up to $1,000.

Engineer-in-Training
    I ordered the FT-5 a few days ago,
    it has a lot of potential, but you need to take the time to put it together and adjust it well, after that many are very positive about the printer,
    and that size for that price

Engineer-in-Training
    I found out that the cables for the extruder steppers on my Powerspec Ultra 3D printer are bad. I found some cables belonging to different kind of stepper motors so I cut the cables off the stepper motors and spliced the cables into the cables coming out the bottom of the printer. While trying to load filament into one of the extruders, I broke the hothead tube while trying to remove the nozzle. I had to order new cables and extruder assembly from Flashforge company.

Technologist
    Follow wendy On Twitter Add wendy on Facebook Add wendy on Google+
    Maybe you can try to visit this websit for seaching your printer
    www.reprapmall.com

Student
    Jeff. I looked at the folgertech quite a bit before buying the Tevo Black Widow. The FT-5 design looks good but there are some things you will have to replace to get a good stable printer. The corner braces are all wood and will not hold up. They are also easy to damage if you are not used to assembling things.

The heatbed is under powered quite a bit. Large heatbeds are an issue right now. Either you under power the heat bed (ie: the heatbed itself is not powerful enough) and your mainboard is OK, or you provide a heatbed of sufficient power (400+ watts) and you then have to find an alternate way to power the heatbed because the mainboard will fry when your heater powers up.

My Tevo Black Widow has a sufficiently powerful heatbed, but it tends to fry a mosfet for the heater circuit on the mainboard. The work around is to use the heater circuit on the main board to either control a more powerful external mosfet board or a relay to turn power to the heatbed on and off.

Even at 500 watts, but PSU is barely strong enough to power the machine and they regularly have customers with blown input thermistors. A printer with a bed that size really needs a 550 to 600 watt supply to not put strain on the PSU components.

That Makerfarm recommends a 350w supply suggests to me that their heatbed is under-powered as well. You probably won't be able to heat up the to 100C+ that a number of materials need.

I'm a 3D printer noob, so look at my comments with that in mind, but I have done a lot of reading on this particular topic.

Engineer-in-Training
    I think that the Tevo Black Widow is better but the assembly manual isn't clear enough. A few pages are little bit blurry.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I think that the Tevo Black Widow is better but the assembly manual isn't clear enough. A few pages are little bit blurry.
    The manual is not very useful. There is a facebook group that is very good. It contains an assembly document that covers a lot of the odd things you can run in to as well as links to assembly videos that are very good. If assembly is your only concern, don't worry about that.

They do seem to be having some quality issues lately. For the cost, it is still a good kit, as the design is good, but you have to be prepared to replace some parts, or wait several weeks for replacements to arrive from China via slow boat. I will say that Tevo is good about supporting the product. I just did not want to wait three to six weeks to get replacement parts that may or may not be good, so I went ahead and bought Open Builds replacement wheels that I know will be high quality.

Outside of the power required for a heatbed, that Pegasus kit looks quite good. It appears to have a genuine E3D hot end. If its the V6 that's really good.

I would ask them about the heatbed and if it will reach 110C.

Super Moderator
    From experience I can recommend the QIDI Tech-1 or the Flashforge Creator Pro. Both solid machines. If you want to build one then I would look a the original Prusa i3 Mk2. They are constantly improving firmware and provide an upgraded version of Slic3r with tested preset profiles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast