Close

5th Gen replicator not drawing filament

My "smart" extruder is not drawing filament. What's there is a string of old filament coming out of the tip so I do not believe it is jammed. It seems the the gear that inserts into the smart extruder is not turning to draw the filament into the extruder.

Technician
    Hi there
    you can try and open SE to see problems (if they are there).
    But most simple solution would be - get yourself new SE and make sure it is SE+

I did purchase an additional Extruder Head, it is a plus. I have also disassembled and reassembled both extruder heads and see no problem. Also tested extruder head on another Makerbot 5th gen. Neither head draws filament on my machine.

Technician
    Go to Filament Load and while filament is loading, look at the back of SE.
    Silver wheel should turn.
    SE.jpg
    This is where wheel is connected to the Carriage.
    If it turns properly while Filament load, then you have issues with filament...
    But if it doesn't turn, then of course your SE can't extrude filament.
    Check back side off Carriage, similar wheel should be fitted into that part of SE.
    There is very small screw on it, you can adjust it.

@ OP, any success? I've been having the same problems with mine...temporary fix was had with software/firmware update, but after 2 perfect prints had the same problem again.

@Roberto, what adjustable screw are you talking about? I haven't found one yet.

Technician
    Marked with red you can see drive gear on SE.
    SE is attached to Carriage, and there you can find the other part, goes into this gear of SE.
    On Carriage side is small screw, and sometimes this is getting loose. Has to be tighten in order to make it work properly.
    If your SE doesn't extrude material even at Load procedure then I would check this one.