Close

RepRap Owners Vs. Other 3D Printer Owners

Does anyone else feel as though owners of RepRap printers are looked down upon by owners of other 3D Printers? I feel like sometimes we are looked at as if we are the "white trash" of the 3D printing industry. A few months ago, I was at one of the more popular 3D printing conference/expos, and I heard a couple RepRap owners ask questions to some of the guest speakers. These were well known, industry experts. They asked questions about the RepRaps, and they were almost always deflected to the next question. RepRap owners I feel are what really drive this industry. Most of the consumer/prosumer 3d printers out there are derived from a RepRap printer in one way or another. I'm just wondering what your take is on this issue whether you are a reprap owner or owner of another 3D printer.

My experience has been the other way around. I use proprietary (Up) and Repraps and the comments about the Up by people who have never used it are quite hostile and dismissive. There's a certain gap that occurs when one persons priority is printing something nice, and another's is doing that but only using technology that is compatible with a belief system.

I believe that at the sub commercial level, the RepRap community has driven the development of the 3D printing industry for the last ten years. Great strides and proress have been made and most were a result of open source and the RepRap people.