Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issues printing ABS on Monoprice Make Select with Flexion extruder

Since I've had this printer I have not been able to print good ABS prints. My PLA prints are pretty decent. I have no issues with bed adhesion, but each layer is wavy and the head is knocking of little pieces of the print. Currently my nozzle temp is 235c and my bed temp is 80c. I have tried cooling fan both on and off and it seems to make no difference. Please help.

http://imgur.com/a/9LNLV

I should also add my print speeds from this print using Cura. Also layer height was set to .2mm

Print speed 60 mm/s
    Infill 60mm/s
    Top/Bottom 20 mm/s
    Travel 100mm/s

Super Moderator
    Check extrusion multiplier. You could be over extruding. And maybe to fast.

Yep, too fast. Try 40-45 mm/s print speed. You upgraded to the Flexion so good containment on the filament. Did you get the HT hotend? Flexion has partnered with MicroSwiss to built an all metal hotend for the Flexion. Available from Flexion or MS. I print ABS consistently with the stock extruder and MicroSwiss all metal hot end. I typically use about 250*255° for print temp, MS hotend seems to need more indicated heat.

Waviness and head knocking the part is due to warping. More bed heat and try to enclose the printer. I use 105° for bed temp and surround and top the printer with a sheet of Refectix (kind of a mirrorized bubble wrap.). Stops drafts and keep the parts surrounded with a pocket of warm air. Parts with long thin segments still warp unless I add mouse ears or large brims.

Super Moderator
    When I get a pattern like this it is usually that the nozzle is to close to the bed. Way to fast for a first layer also, (ok just saw 20 on the top and bottom) but make sure on the speed of the first layer.
    With the Flexion you might be able to back the extrusion multiplier of just a bit, maybe .1 or .2.
    Also if you are using the stock nozzle that come with the Flexion they are much flatter on the end and a little less tolerant of over extrusion.

See what the first layer height is. I run 90 with PLA and something go to 100 with ABS.
    You may want a higher bed temp for just the first layer, I sometimes go up to 110 then back it off, to get the ABS to "liquefy" slightly or flow better.

Engineer-in-Training
    Looks to be an over extrusion issue like everyone else has stated. Extrusion multiplier, Nozzle diameter, and extrusion width all come into play. what are those settings. Also as other have stated you bed temps are to low.

Thanks for the replies. I will try the suggested after I get my printer functioning again. It appears after trying to print some NinjaFlex I can no longer get successful prints with PLA. I'm assuming this is a bed level issue or something simple so I'm starting at the beginning and checking all my axis.

Well I ran through the normal leveling process and I found that the Z-axis was off which explains having more issues on the right side of the print. I tried several times to print in PLA (the filament I am usually successful with) but with no success. I noticed that the filament seem to be slipping a little. I tried changing the tension on the Flexion from 3 to 2 and it magically started working. Every where that I have found says to set it to 4 for hard filaments like PLA but I guess it all depends on manufacture. I did notice that this filament is a little bit more flexable then the last I got from the same company.

Well I ran through the normal leveling process and I found that the Z-axis was off which explains having more issues on the right side of the print. I tried several times to print in PLA (the filament I am usually successful with) but with no success. I noticed that the filament seem to be slipping a little. I tried changing the tension on the Flexion from 3 to 2 and it magically started working. Every where that I have found says to set it to 4 for hard filaments like PLA but I guess it all depends on manufacture. I did notice that this filament is a little bit more flexable then the last I got from the same company.

Super Moderator
    You may need to adjust the extruder a bit. Load PLA and set to 4. Get it extruding and start to tighten the Allen screw slowly until the extruder starts to skip (clicking) then back off a quarter to a half turn. I run ABS at either 4 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by athlon2k2 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast