Close

ABS Filament through PLA printer?

I can't seem to find any information on whether or not it's dangerous to print with ABS on a Printer meant for PLA (The DaVinci Mini for example). I know it seems like a obviously bad idea, but I've read of people printing with ABS Filament and mentioning they were using printers that I'd look up and find we're made for PLA

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    If your printer can heat to higher temperatures (250 deg for nozzle and 110 deg for the bed) then you should be absolutely fine printing ABS. If you don't have a heated bed then you can use an ABS slurry to adhere the print to the bed so actually all you need is for your printer to be able to heat the nozzle to a higher temperature.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    www.3dexfilament.co.uk

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pretty much the only difference is a heated printbed - if you have one of those there's no reason (except the obvious) why you can't print abs.

Bear in mind that printing abs on a non-enclosed printer is the highest form of masochism.
    If you want to play with a filament different to pla - try pet-g

Thanks for your replies guys! You guys definitely helped picking a printer a lot easier to do.