Close

Unhappy Trouble with QIDI Dual Extruder Desktop 3D Printer X motor [shifting back and forth]

There's a problem with the X motor. On jog mode it doesn't go in one solid direction, it goes back and forth even when holding the button down.

I've been using the QIDI Dual Extruder Desktop 3D Printer for several months with SD card prints as well as my colleague using it with some other software successfully. Now and recently hooked it up to my computer. Before doing so I tested it and was able to print a small object successfully. Yet when I attempted to use the makerbot desktop software after replicator G was not printing with the left extruder and had no option to (as well as not being able to get it to send the job to the device), it still had the problem with not being able to print on the left extruder. Then finally I just decided to let it print and see if the software would even print successfully. After a bit there was a big failure (right after the raft) and the problem with the X motor started. If anyone has any idea on what to do, help is appreciated. I tried to navigate their website but wasn't able to find any assistance. I haven't upgraded any firmware or taken anything apart. Everything seems to work, yet the X motor is bipolar. Any other threads relating to this would also help.

Thank you very much.

-M

Super Moderator
    Sounds like a few things going on here. First dump the makerbot software unless it is an older version. The new ones are getting geared solely to their machines.
    Make sure to set the QIDI to a replicator 1 dual in the software. You might give FlashPrint from Flashforge a try I heard it works with the QIDI eventhough I have not tried. I have both the QIDI and a Flashforge Creator Pro. Also, and if you can spend the cash go to Simplify 3D.

On the X motor. Try changing the cable out with the Y motor and see if the issue changes. Cables to these steppers going bad is common.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah flashprint should work, but it just generates an x3g file that you use from a memory card.
    For usb printing you need either an early version of makerware: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...Download-(x64)

Or simplify3d. It is worth the money, the only thing I use majerware for are dual extrusion prints - s3d just doesn't work for me on those.

Thank you kindly for the replies. I am going to switch the cable as the kit came with an extra. I've downloaded the old version makerware for the time being until I've gotten everything working. Some other errands to do right now, I'll report what happens after the cable switch.

Eventually I'll get simplify 3d. This seems like a cable or motor deal even though my brain wont shut up about firmware.

Super Moderator
    Another possibility is the stepper driver but the cable is the most common thing.

Quote Originally Posted by maxcsmith View Post
    Thank you kindly for the replies. I am going to switch the cable as the kit came with an extra. I've downloaded the old version makerware for the time being until I've gotten everything working. Some other errands to do right now, I'll report what happens after the cable switch.

Eventually I'll get simplify 3d. This seems like a cable or motor deal even though my brain wont shut up about firmware.

Seemingly, it was the cable. I'm able to move the motor back and forth now without it sputtering randomly. Thank you for the suggestions, helped greatly. I'll see how it holds up.

Super Moderator
    Good deal!