Close

Engineer-in-Training

Anyone know if the itty bitty extruders will fit the 12" Pegasus?

Thinking of upgrading my 12" to the aluminum frame and was wondering if the belt drive extruders will work on it?

Thanks,
    Chadd

I put the itty bitty dual flex v2 on mine. I find it works a lot better than the stock direct drive extruders. The stock ones didn't have enough power and would freeze up at times and not extrude.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks for the reply, I found the itty bitty to work much better on my v3i also and was wanting to just move it over to the new frame. The stock wade extruder wore pretty quickly and had a lot of backlash in the gears.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal24 View Post
    I put the itty bitty dual flex v2 on mine. I find it works a lot better than the stock direct drive extruders. The stock ones didn't have enough power and would freeze up at times and not extrude.

Engineer-in-Training
    If you are looking to upgrade to a geared extruder you can look into the E3D Titan. It is about $50.00 and does not use a belt and makes it possible to use a smaller pancake motor.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

All of the Pegasus printers share a common X carriage. What fits on one of the family will fit on the rest. Early reports on the Titan seem to indicate that it has less "drive" than the stock direct drive extruder. The steppers on the stock dual extruder are a bit smaller than on the stock single so it has a bit less drive as well. Still more than the Titan with a pancake motor from reports.

Current setting on the stepper drivers also matters on the extruders. The factory settings are pretty conservative. You may be able to bump them a bit.

Most of this *assumes* the motor is the limiting factor. If the teeth in your filament drive "gear" are plugged or worn ... fix that. If your spring tension is to low ... fix that. If your filament spool hangs up ... take care of the issue. There are a lot of reasons an extruder will stop pushing filament. You can run a hot end cold enough to stall any extruder, each filament brand (not type) is different ... never assume 185 C is "ok".

Lots of variables.

Bob

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

All of the Pegasus printers share a common X carriage. What fits on one of the family will fit on the rest. Early reports on the Titan seem to indicate that it has less "drive" than the stock direct drive extruder. The steppers on the stock dual extruder are a bit smaller than on the stock single so it has a bit less drive as well. Still more than the Titan with a pancake motor from reports.

Current setting on the stepper drivers also matters on the extruders. The factory settings are pretty conservative. You may be able to bump them a bit.

Most of this *assumes* the motor is the limiting factor. If the teeth in your filament drive "gear" are plugged or worn ... fix that. If your spring tension is to low ... fix that. If your filament spool hangs up ... take care of the issue. There are a lot of reasons an extruder will stop pushing filament. You can run a hot end cold enough to stall any extruder, each filament brand (not type) is different ... never assume 185 C is "ok".

Lots of variables.

Bob
    Can I ask for your sources about the Titan? I have been thinking about upgrading from the direct feed, due to the 3:1 gearing ratio. I have a typical wades extruder that has had zero issues while my direct feed has had a few instances of chewing filament.

Plus I like the idea of potentially using a pancake motor as I am only using 1.75mm Filament.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Can I ask for your sources about the Titan? I have been thinking about upgrading from the direct feed, due to the 3:1 gearing ratio. I have a typical wades extruder that has had zero issues while my direct feed has had a few instances of chewing filament.

Plus I like the idea of potentially using a pancake motor as I am only using 1.75mm Filament.
    Hi

I've talked to a couple of people who have swapped around extruders on these machines. They all seem to feel that with a pancake motor, the Titan is underpowered. Simply based on the math, it is underpowered compared to a Wade's or an IttyBity. Those pancake motors put out a *lot* less torque than a normal sized stepper.

Bob