Close

Administrator

Glowforge to Begin Shipping Pre-Release 3D Printers

Glowforge will finally begin shipping their pre-release 3D printers in December, with the machines going out to over 10,000 customers. It has also been announced that Flex will be manufacturing the Glowforge 3D printers in Milpitas, CA. The Glowforge is unique in that it operates via subtractive technology and is able to print with numerous alternative materials such as wood and leather. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/156976/glowforge-3d-printers-shipping/

Please explain how this is a 3D laser printer

Please explain how this is a 3D printer. It is not a printer what so ever. What does it print? What materials can it print from? This is shameless use of buzz words to sell a product. Much shame. Also, showing a laser being used in a kitchen is just plain dangerous to advertise. This is nothing more than a laser cutter and you can buy them much cheaper than what GF is selling them for.

I repeat, this is not a 3D printer. It does not accept filament like a 3D printer does. This is a laser cutter/engraver, not a 3D printer.

what is with the false advertising, GlowForge?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    holy crap it's a $3000 (for the cheap one without the air filter that takes the smoke out) laser cutter.
    For $6000 - you get 12 months warranty - only 6 on the basic one. And a laser that will do everything in the video.

So you pay $3000 for a fairly low powered laser cutter and the company don't think it will last more than 6 months - that's illegal in the uk - where electrical good carry a mandatory 12 month warranty and in europe where it's 36 months. Only the states let people get away with selling electrical goods with such short warranties.

Do these people have any idea what you can get in the way of a laser cutter on ebay for that kind of money ?

The cameras are cool, and it's clever software, but not worth anything like that kind of money.

There are clearly a lot of people who have more money that they know what to do with.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.

You could by an x700 clone, which has a larger cutting area and a REAL 3D printer for the price they want for this.

I'm curious to see how many apple products are ruined by this thing and people trying to engrave. No machine is load and press go. Set up time is involved and they don't pitch it like that.

Hell, they show it running in a kitchen with no fume extraction. Extremely irresponsible.

yes the whole: 'let's laser engrave our stupidly expensive macbook' is interesting, wonder how many people will melt their iphones as well :-)

I mean, yes it is a clever bit of kit and laser engraver with decent engraving area. But it's worth $1000 absolute max for the top of the range one.
    They actually state that the basic one uses a laser from a blu-ray drive. $3000 should buy you a 50 watt co2 laser at least.

Engineer-in-Training
    Bunch of opinions from people who's experience with the machine is watching a couple minutes video on youtube.

I for one am excited about this product, I'll wait until actual user reviews come out to judge it. The price seems very good for what you get, not much more than the cheap chinese laser cutters, that don't have half of the tech this one claims to include.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    yes the whole: 'let's laser engrave our stupidly expensive macbook' is interesting, wonder how many people will melt their iphones as well :-)

I mean, yes it is a clever bit of kit and laser engraver with decent engraving area. But it's worth $1000 absolute max for the top of the range one.
    They actually state that the basic one uses a laser from a blu-ray drive. $3000 should buy you a 50 watt co2 laser at least.
    Please send me a link to a $1000 laser cutter you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    Bunch of opinions from people who's experience with the machine is watching a couple minutes video on youtube.

I for one am excited about this product, I'll wait until actual user reviews come out to judge it. The price seems very good for what you get, not much more than the cheap chinese laser cutters, that don't have half of the tech this one claims to include.
    Could you then please explain how this is a 3D laser printer? It doesn't print anything, not a thing. It cuts flat surfaces, doesn't print a damn thing.

$4000 for a 20" x 12" cutting table is absolutely much, much more than the cheap Chinese cutters. It is easily twice as much as the comparable size Chinese model on eBay. Plus you would have had it for the 18 months that GF kept delaying and would have made your money back and then some.

Plus you need a steady internet stream to run it. Your internet goes out? No use of the GF. GF goes out of business, so use of the GF.

You can look at the specs, if you have any clue about lasers, and realize that it isn't worth $4000, not by a long shot.

I would still like the OP to comment on how it is a 3D laser printer? Which I filament does it use?

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    Please send me a link to a $1000 laser cutter you're talking about.
    read the actual post. I said it's worth $1000 - not that you can but the same thing for that.
    I say - based on what it's made of and what it does that it's worth around $1000.
    The laser, motors, frame size and movement electronics can be had for around $3-400 in a similiar sized laser cutter from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5500MW-Desktop-Laser-Engraver-Engraving-Machine-DIY-CNC-Cutter-Printer-50X65cm-/131930402781?hash=item1eb7aa2fdd:g:8mUAAOSwvzRXzi6 U
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-65cm-Area...3D131930402781

So giving them $600 for a couple cheap webcams and some software is more than generous.
    Okay add $100 for the case.
    Charging $6000 is completely ridiculous - a minimum $5000 dollars profit per unit ?
    $2000 plus profit for the cheap one ?
    You think that's reasonable ?

Yes I'm basing it on a video - and what it is and what it actually does. It has some basic mechanical parts and standard electronics. They've added apple styling ('cos everyone knows white stuff costs more) and some cheap cameras and some clever software.
    None of that justifies the price point.

On the positive side, I can see clones coming out of china for much more sensible money very soon :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-08-2016 at 05:57 AM.