Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol cars stittig in the sun not usually an issue in the uk. But bear in mind that the glass popint is only the pint the plastic starts to bend, it won't actually melt untill it hits the 180c mark. Given that this is aclip that isn't under any real tension - it would need to get hot enough in the car to melt all the plastic components before you had any problems.

The issue is vertical layer adhesion. pla is better at that than abs (mainly because it doesn;'t shrink anywhere as much), but if you want a properly bonded part use pet-g. It's layer bonding is much better than abs or pla.
    Also one reason I'd use esun flexible pla. It's a really stiff flexible - would be ideal for this kind of clip, and layer bonding on all the flexible filaments is as good as injection moulded parts.

Though it does depend what printer you have. If you have one with a heated enclosed print volume - then you will get better layer adhesion from abs. If you have an open enclosure - then my advice would be don't use abs, period.

I'd still add some reinforcement at the base, which is the weak point, it will still flex, just less chance of breaking. And if using a flexible filament I'd be inclined to leave the column solid for added stiffness.

Ok thanks aard. I will follow your great advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12