Close

3D Printing in a shaky house

Hi,

I'm looking into getting into 3D Printing, but we just moved into a new house and I'm not too sure I'll be able to get good prints. A train runs very close by my home and rumbles the house whenever a train goes by. Nothing severe like things falling over, but enough to see the motion in glasses of water and feel the vibration in the floor.

Would this prohibit me from getting quality 3D prints? I wasn't sure since both the model and nozzle would move in the same way. Anyone have something like this in their home or office? I'm fairly tech adept so if there is a solution for this I'd be up for considering it.

Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't thinkm it would make much difference. You can always stick rubber feet under the printer as a vibration damper.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    don't thinkm it would make much difference. You can always stick rubber feet under the printer as a vibration damper.
    Yes, try this.

What kind of 3D printer are you using? Delta structure or XYZ? XYZ structure will be influenced less than the delta type.rubber is helpful.

I think I would put a vibration sensor on the table or window, and just write some firmware to retact the filament, raise the nozzle, and park while the train was going by. And then as soon as there is no vibration, you could wipe the nozzle and restart...

Seriously... Depending upon the direction and type of infill my printer is doing, it is almost hopping up off the table. It is going to be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I think I would put a vibration sensor on the table or window, and just write some firmware to retact the filament, raise the nozzle, and park while the train was going by. And then as soon as there is no vibration, you could wipe the nozzle and restart...

Seriously... Depending upon the direction and type of infill my printer is doing, it is almost hopping up off the table. It is going to be just fine.
    Wow... professional

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    It will not make too much of a difference. Also check designs on Thingiverse, there are printable feet available with vibration dampening springs.

Student
    Wouldn't matter much. Just put some rubber feet on it as others have said. They run cheap at electronic stores... or make some!