Close

Makerbot - Any owners hear this?

I must hear this on a daily basis. It really shows how far Makerbot has sunk. Owners will not use any other filament other than Makerbot, even though they don't like it, because Makerbot tells them they will void their warranty if they use another brand. Shocked they get away with this. It is against the law. Why do people buy into this? I spoke with a customer today who informed me they couldn't use any other filament or Makerbot wouldn't replace their extruder any more. Besides being ridiculous that it's had to be replaced 4 times in a year, the tactics are really low. I would never claim to be an expert on consumer law, but I do know a thing or two about Magnuson-Moss. I would be very curious to hear any instances of people going after Makerbot for refusing to honor the warranty.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    given that 2d printer manufacturers have always said the same thing.
    I'd say legally, they are probably correct.

Yet ANOTHER reason to just not buy their printers.

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    From my experience with a few types of 3d printers in the last years I would say each company develops its range of filaments to be extremely compatible to their printers. And give as good quality as they can. If you use a filament that is not recommeded by them and that filament destroys the nozzle it is normal not to have it replaced by the manufacturer. Because they can't be responsible for users' experiments.

Also from the experience I learned that I prefer a printer to work well for months with its own filaments than use cheap filaments and clean the nozzle assembly every 2 days... or have other "n" problems.

All my commnents above are based on using printers Tiertime. Flashforge and Zortrax.
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke