Close

Student

New to 3D Printing

Looking to get a 3D Printer and not sure where to start or what to do. Any suggestions?

thinking of starting a business in 3d printing. want to absorb as much info i can. is there a market for this? what is the best printer on the market for industrial use

Engineer-in-Training
    use the search function.

@surfhedland there is a lot going on in 3d printing, you need to determine what kind of business first. Which customers are you targeting and with what kind of product? As for which 3D printer that depends on your business needs.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    start with a budget for a printer - until you know how much you can spend you can't start looking at printers.

Also, before you think you can start a business - do some market research.
    I've just not bothered renewing my 3d hubs page, after 2 years not a single thing.

Done some bits for local people, but once you explain that yes you can make that widget. But as it'll take some hours of designing and printing it won't actually be 50p, they tend to go away.

If you have a specific thing people want to buy and can't currently get - then you might have a chance.

But with any business proposition - start with your setup budget and come back to us :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhedland View Post
    thinking of starting a business in 3d printing. want to absorb as much info i can. is there a market for this? what is the best printer on the market for industrial use
    "Industrial" speaks to Stratasys and the tune of 20k. Sabastian one of the mods here says that the upbox printers can get close to that level at around 2k but I haven't seen anything off of them.

Printing as a business model is going to be rough. If you design products and print them the worth is in the design not so much the printing of it. I have done a lot of consumer retail product design and now I do side work for a local college but I am not going to retire on what I get from that.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    There are so many 3D printers available. It is refreshing to see so much choice but this can lead to difficulties when deciding what to buy.

Perhaps it might be best to decide on a budget and then find a printer that fits your budget. Having said that, you don't have to have a very big budget to get started. The Prusa i3 is a great start and not much money at all. There are also many copies of established 3D printers that function very well. For example, the Maylan M150 is basically an i3 and although the quality is not all that great it is certainly a great starting point.

A good idea might be to finalise about 5 printers that you are considering buying and then ask "which one should I buy" on this forum.

I hope this helps,

Regards,
    www.3dexfilament.co.uk - Black Friday Sales Now On

i think you could try the delta structured 3d printer