Close

Looking for 3D printed food communities

Hi, I'm Tom.

I'm looking to get in touch with communities of people who have experience of 3D printing food (either making or eating!)

I'm a PhD candidate from England working with an exciting new 3D food printer to develop the technology. It would be great to hear from anyone!

Hopefully speak soon!

Hi Tom,
    Take a look at http://www.3dchef.nl/ I know he gives workshops but they are probably in the Netherlands.
    I saw his work at a 3D printing fair last year, his products looked good although i never tasted them. I am not much of a sweet tooth.
    Regards
    Mike

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    They traveled a bit away from my hometown and are now in Sydney AU.
    You can also contact our Makerspace, I know they have some experience with food printing. fablab013.nl/
    My chips are on a 3D printing&baking machine for bread. After printing and baking the machine should be able inject the bread with different fillings.

Thanks both, I'll check out the recommendations!

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    I recently visited Maker Faire Rome and they had a whole area about food. And there were some food 3D printers. They were printing with chocolate!!
    Some of the companies that were present are mentioned on their website: http://www.makerfairerome.eu/en/food-area/

Maybe it will help you. Good luck!

It'd be great if you could help me with my research. Check out this thread for more details!
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...001#post106001

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I participated - good survey.

The Mechanics of Materials group at Eindhoven University is starting a PhD on food printing as well.
    It would be good to connect and align visions. https://www.tue.nl/en/university/dep...-of-materials/

My idea would be that, because even in very specific aspects of food printing a lot of research will be needed, it would be good to start with the technology that will have the most chance for positive impact and adoption. That is why I mentioned bread - there are enormous differences in quality, it is an extremely specific process and just the right balance throughout the entire process can create a bread that will win customers. Translating it to a digital process will take many years before it's done well. There is a documentary where a French top chef does a cook-off with a scientific crew that uses digitally controlled processes - it was clear they were working from two ends of a spectrum and where they will meet there are lots of new opportunities. I see future food 3D printers more like very specialized robotic chef assistants, that can not only extrude but do multiple operations including pre- and post-processing and finishing of the foods. Aiming for very specific purposes will help to bring them to market earlier.
    Keep posting results so we can keep up the discussion!

Thanks for your message and participating.

That sounds super interesting. It'd be good to discuss directions. Drop me an email at t.gayler(at)lancaster.ac.uk and we can arrange a call.

I'll keep you updated with results as I go.