Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist

Wiring a Solid State Relay to Ramps

I am thinking of replacing the relay on my Makerfarm i3v 10" with a solid state relay & adding one to my FolgerTech Delta, but wanted to know how to hook it up before ordering a couple. I found these 2 images. The 1st one I don't understand why having the heat bed + going to the SSR - would be a good idea. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...large-heat-bed!!!
    This 2nd one shows what makes more sense to me. http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9004/...-installation/
    Do either of these look like the correct wiring? Think I also read on here that I need 12v wired to the 11amp connection on the ramps also.

Also does anyone have a recommendation of which relay to buy?

-David

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Heat beds typically aren't really polarized, so any + and - reference doesn't matter. The only situation I am aware of where it does is if the heat bed is equipped with an LED to indicate when power is on.

With RAMPS, people normally wire the SSR control inputs to the D8 output that would otherwise power the heat bed. For the D8 output to work, you need 12V connected to the 11-amp power input.

I think most people get an SSR off Amazon. You can search the Makerfarm subforum for "solid state relay" for some threads that provide links. The general comment I'd have is that going higher in a current rating is better, since the higher current relays will typically also have a lower on-resistance. This maximizes the amount of power going to your heat bed and minimizes the power lost as heat in the SSR. You also want to make sure the SSR is for DC loads, not AC. Unlike mechanical relays, that makes a difference for SSRs.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Heat beds typically aren't really polarized, so any + and - reference doesn't matter. The only situation I am aware of where it does is if the heat bed is equipped with an LED to indicate when power is on.

With RAMPS, people normally wire the SSR control inputs to the D8 output that would otherwise power the heat bed. For the D8 output to work, you need 12V connected to the 11-amp power input.

I think most people get an SSR off Amazon. You can search the Makerfarm subforum for "solid state relay" for some threads that provide links. The general comment I'd have is that going higher in a current rating is better, since the higher current relays will typically also have a lower on-resistance. This maximizes the amount of power going to your heat bed and minimizes the power lost as heat in the SSR. You also want to make sure the SSR is for DC loads, not AC. Unlike mechanical relays, that makes a difference for SSRs.
    Thanks for the info printbus. I will do some research before deciding which one to buy.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

The Amazon ones that come for < $20 with the heatsink seem to work fine. The one I have is a 100A version. It was still dirt cheap. The relay and heatsink never seem to get hot. You can drive them with just about any signal off of the Ramps. Configuration wise, it is *much* easier to just hook them to the same output as the "gizmo" normally uses. Marlin is configurable enough that there are a number of other options....

If you did go with a SSR you should really consider setting it up like an 8" heater hooked directly to the onboard FET with PID control. I changed over from a relay because with Bang-Bang I was get poor regulation of temp and on 0.1 mm layers there was enough glass warp to make the tip drag on occasion. Also with a translucent PLA I'd get slight changes in color on the first couple of layers as it heated and cooled leaving sort of diagonal stripes although they don't really show on the finished print. I did however visually illustrate the wide variance in temperature compared to PID control. It works a lot better now with the SSR and PID enabled and AutoPID run for the bed.

Technologist
    Thanks. I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but not sure when or if I will hook it up. My printer is working well with no heat bed. I am using blue tape & glue stick for PLA & PETG. Small parts I do not use the glue stick. I am almost finished a 6 hour print of a vertex for an Emmett-Delta printer & the print looks really good. I just changed my wades extruder to a titan extruder last week.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidDave View Post
    Thanks. I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but not sure when or if I will hook it up. My printer is working well with no heat bed. I am using blue tape & glue stick for PLA & PETG. Small parts I do not use the glue stick. I am almost finished a 6 hour print of a vertex for an Emmett-Delta printer & the print looks really good. I just changed my wades extruder to a titan extruder last week.
    Hi

If you run the 40A relay on the heated bed, you probably should have a heatsink on it.

I have never used anything other than hairspray on glass with the Makerfarm printers. It has always worked great for everything I have printed. That includes PETG, PLA, ABS and a few odd filaments.

Bob

Technologist
    I should have mentioned I did order a heat sink also. That has not arrived yet.

I tried the hair spray & used that for the 1st year, but occasionally something would lift up on a corner. I do not print ABS though. The only problems I have with blue tape & glue is if the bed is not level or I did not adhere the tape down well.

Engineer-in-Training

I tried the hair spray & used that for the 1st year, but occasionally something would lift up on a corner. I do not print ABS though. The only problems I have with blue tape & glue is if the bed is not level or I did not adhere the tape down well.
    Hi

The only times I have had a lift with hair spray have been on non-level beds or on ABS. There, the print fractured about as often as the corner lifted. With the layers separating on 270C ABS, it's not an adhesion issue .....

Bob

I have mine heatsinked but if you have a V-slot framed printer you could probably get away with attaching it to the aluminum frame and use that as your heatsink for up to 10" heatbed. A 12" would probably be pushing it and need a regular heatsink. I attached my heatsink to the v-slot (Pegasus 10, full metal) and found a printed cover for the SSR on Thingieverse and it actually looks pretty cool, almost a Steam Punk look with that heatsink

My first printer didn't have a heated bed so I used the painter's tape for about a year and a half but I prefer the heated bed once I started using one. I do occasionally use the blue tape for 'effect' when I want a matte rather than a shiny surface. I make a lot of electronics project enclosures and on many projects it just looks more professional. Large flat pieces I usually include a brim which helps considerably. Also the auto bed leveling helped getting an more consistent 1st layer height which seems to help noticeably with adhesion and warping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast